Author Topic: Substance Share improvement suggestions  (Read 2306 times)

I didn't see a suggestion thread, so I'm posting this here. :)

Here are my initial thoughts how overall navigation on the site could possibly be improved with small tweaks:

For everything on the site: would it be possible to somehow mark (for example with an icon or something on top of preview image etc) things we have already downloaded so we wouldn't download something twice? Also a separate icon with indication on update since previous download would be great but I realize that's probably not as trivial to implement than rest of the suggestions here.

On recently updates list: could we have an option to somehow show only assets that have been updated or added our last login? This would be really nice for people who want to keep things up-to-date and don't want to manually check the version numbers one by one for each asset.

On my files: could we be able to sort the lists by individual columns so we could sort the downloaded/uploaded items by name, category and last update time? This would actually partly solve the previous request as we could just look at downloaded files for what's been recently updated.

On my files: could we have version numbers shown on the lists as well? I'm not sure if last update currently means the actual content has been changed or just the description of it?

On the side navigation list: when you expand individual categories, it expands that list but there's no scrolling for that menu itself, so if monitor resolution is small or browser window isn't fully expanded, part of that list doesn't show and page scrolling doesn't apply to that side menu as it's position is fixed. This is minor issue at the moment, but can get worse if there will be more categories later on.

Thanks again for the new service!

Any chance we could get the the assets from Allegorithmic's tutorials added to Substance Share - e.g. the alphas used in the "sci fi crate" tutorial, utility nodes, etc.

Any chance we could get the the assets from Allegorithmic's tutorials added to Substance Share - e.g. the alphas used in the "sci fi crate" tutorial, utility nodes, etc.

Hi,

Yes, absolutely : ) I will start uploading all the tutorial content soon.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes. Really appreciate all the things you guys are doing.

Do you have plans for any more tutorials? I'd love to see a series of general tutorials where you take real world reference images and create similar materials using substance designer/painter.
Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:05:29 pm

Do you have plans for any more tutorials? I'd love to see a series of general tutorials where you take real world reference images and create similar materials using substance designer/painter.
I second this request. I really enjoyed the "Creating a procedural rocky ground material" series, would love to see more of similar in depth tutorials for substance designer :) We already have plenty of unofficial proc gen tiles using substance designer kind of tutorials, but not many where you'd create advanced materials from start to finish.

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new topic for this, so I hope my comment here is welcome.

I have been noticing that navigating the Substance Share site is a bit cumbersome. Many clicks simply do not register and require multiple clicks to activate the link. This goes for just about every clickable link on the site. It could be that my Chrome is out of date or something, but this is the only site on which I experience this issue. It's not such a big deal, but it could be a lot smoother :) I wonder if anyone else has s similar issue?

Hey conradsly,

sorry for this issue and I hope this can be fixed soon, but I never experienced such problems and I believe this is something on your side like an old browser or so.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST:

Allow upload from Substance Designer to "Overwrite" existing copy.

Currently you have to "edit" your uploaded entry in Substance Share.  That means you have to create everything by hand.

Maybe it's not a big deal, but when it tells me that the "Name is already in use" - and it's mine - it would be great to have an option to replace the old entry with the new one.

Just like when you do a "Save As" to an existing filename.

P.S.
Someone before said it would be nice if it checked for the existing (duplicate) filename *before* uploading the files.  That's very reasonable, and I second that suggestion.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Actually we are thinking about another way to do this: within the software you will get a dropdown list with all the assets you already submitted. So you will be able to decide to create a new one, or overwrite an existing one.

I cannot provide any ETA for this feature, though, but it will happen eventually.

Cheers,
Nicolas
Director of Product Management & COO

Having to download packaged sets like the monthly drops one-by-one is such a pain. Are there any plans to be able to streamline downloading multiple substance files at a time?

Hey mykillk,

I don't think you'll be able to download multiple substance at once, that wouldn't make sense anyway for most files.
I could think about building pre-defined packages, though. Just like the Monthly drops.

Allegorithmic is already thinking about better ways to distribute the monthly drops, by the way ;)

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Glad you are working on streamlining the download process.

I am happy to have Substance Share as a resource and I love the tools you guys are building but I find the whole process of downloading/unzipping/locating substances cumbersome.

I love the way Filter Forge lets you browse through their filter collection on the web and with one click, import any filter into your app and start playing with it. It's almost instant gratification and it doesn't require managing any files.

Glad you are working on streamlining the download process.

I am happy to have Substance Share as a resource and I love the tools you guys are building but I find the whole process of downloading/unzipping/locating substances cumbersome.

I love the way Filter Forge lets you browse through their filter collection on the web and with one click, import any filter into your app and start playing with it. It's almost instant gratification and it doesn't require managing any files.

+1 for this, i really dislike the current system  :)
You wanna play it soft. We'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard. Let's play it hard.