Author Topic: Global Relative Size Change (increasing tiling but not 'tiling')  (Read 1549 times)

Hi,
I feel like I am missing something:

A lot of Substances I have looked at have a very small area of features.
For example a brick wall tile might be  set up in a fixed way of let's say 4x8 bricks on a tile. Maybe a little more.
But never in a way that it is built to cover an entire wall with unique bricks on each wallsegement.

I can understand why this is common - people work on details and it is much easier this way and the value ranges of substances sliders by default are made to work best with a certain amount of 'cells' on a tile so you tend to work in that cell range.

I know it is easy enough to increase the tiling within the project but that's just it: All it does is tile the small set of features you constructed in your original 'tile'.

I feel with all these possible randomization SD allows it should be very easy to globally change the computed amount of cells without affecting size realtionships between cells.

Or in other words:
If I have made a tile with 4x8 bricks, I set up all the detail scale, size relationships and gap sizes for the bricks (random) and randomized seeds for each brick, what is the easiest way to - after the fact - change the tile to a 40x80 brick tile without just tiling the original one.
Do I need to go into each FX Map and readjust Offsets etc ?
Or is there somewhere a slider I can use to just increase the 'cell count' ?

What I could imagine happening is a 'Quadrant' Node that allows you to set the amount of 'Quadrants' that should be generated.
Bu changing the Quadrant amount you could generate more cells.
I know there probably isn't a quick one slider way to do this at the moment but it almost seems like there should be a way to mark  nodes and FX Maps as 'global'.
So 'global' ones get recalculated for each cell even when tiled, while non-global ones are allowed to 'repeat'. This way, while pattern offset for example would still be repeating, at least the randomization of each brick could be unique.

Thanks,
Jens

Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:11:14 pm

Well, there's ways to do what you want, but it really depends on how you got to the stage you're at. Usually it's very possible using an input variable and some simple formulas for each input, but what those formulas are, or if they're even needed beyond just using that variable, is probably different with each unique way of generating bricks.

One way might be to have a simple generator that makes slightly blurred, uniform brick patterns, which then gets details added with noise maps afterwards, so tiling the bricks doesn't result in repeats. Like, actually using the built-in brick generator, then adding fractal noise with an overlay blend, then slope blur, then dirt, or whatever...

So I think there's no one answer for such a generally stated question as this. It depends what else is going on in the graph.

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the broad theoretical question.
I guess it just comes down to always making sure to have some sort of global size variable exposed that is attached to the necessary functions.

I just thought maybe there is something already in place to deal with this. You never know :)
Thanks again,
Jens