Author Topic: Allegorithmic Roadmap?  (Read 3079 times)

Could some of the technical mods enlighten me a bit about the product cycles? How long does it generally take for a product to go from Y.0X to Y+1.0X?
When can I assume Designer (currently .3) to reach next major iteration? Same for B2M. How long on average does this transition take? I heard for Painter going getting to Painter 2 was around two years. (is this correct?) Thank you.

Could some of the technical mods enlighten me a bit about the product cycles? How long does it generally take for a product to go from Y.0X to Y+1.0X?
When can I assume Designer (currently .3) to reach next major iteration? Same for B2M. How long on average does this transition take? I heard for Painter going getting to Painter 2 was around two years. (is this correct?) Thank you.

Hi,

I think it really depends on what features are planned and how long they will take. SP was different because we released it as a public beta to start. I think we have a goal of yearly upgrades with Designer and Painter or at least close to it. B2M might be a little longer. However, for us this is flexible. If the software is not ready and needs more time, we wait as we don't want to release lackluster features just to make sure we have an upgrade at exactly a 1 year. For example, SD 5 - 6 will be longer than 1 year. The upgrade cycle is driven by the roadmap and feature set and not yearly upgrades.

We don't release full upgrades before 1 year though. So we don't have SP 2 and then six months later SP 3 and charge upgrade costs. All of the point releases are free so once you get SP 2 then 2.x is free. The same with SD and B2M.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Well I figured as much but thank you for the clarification!