Author Topic: Mac Pro and AMD FirePro  (Read 1922 times)

Hey any Mac Pro users with the AMD FirePro graphics card users out there?  I'm contemplating on upgrading to a Mac Pro, but they only seem to come with AMD FirePros.  The Allegorithmic site indicates that it's not a supported card.  Anyone have issues with these cards?

FirePro GPUs are unsupported because their drivers are unstable with Substance Painter. Usually you will encounter glitches, crashes and even computer reboots to the point where it is impossible to work with our software.

I would personally recommend looking for a Windows computer with a good Nvidia GPU instead.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Sorry to bring up an old post, but any updates on this? Recently got a Mac Pro and pretty disappointed that the only GPU they have is unsupported. Are you guys planning on supporting these GPU's in the future?

We recently received FirePro GPUs for both Mac and Windows. We plan to support this type of GPUs, but we don't have an ETA yet.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I can second the fact that Painter doesn't work well on the Mac Pro. There are all sorts of issues on mine and I was quite disappointed to find them when I purchased Painter. Still waiting for it to support the Pro and hope Algorithmic does soon. Until then I have to stick with Mari.

For reference my Mac is:

12 Core CPU
64 GB Ram
1TB SSD
Dual D700

We recently received FirePro GPUs for both Mac and Windows. We plan to support this type of GPUs, but we don't have an ETA yet.

Hello. Any updates at this time? I have a limited window to get a discount bundle with my C4D renewal and I would like to include Designer / Painter but if this limitation still exists and will exist for some time yet, I will wait and purchase later. Any advice appreciated. Even though your Indie license is great I wouldn't feel great about buying this for my Mac Pro only to discover it's still not going to work.

Cure in 10.12?

Hi,

FirePro are still not fully supported, and I'm afraid we can't provide any ETA yet.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

Hi,

FirePro are still not fully supported, and I'm afraid we can't provide any ETA yet.

Cheers,

THank you for your direct answer. Really appreciate it. Still quite interested in your unique products and licensing so I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best this fall / winter.