Author Topic: Exposing colour controls  (Read 1969 times)

Hey guys,

Another node question I am not able to figure out.

So I have two colour nodes - X & Y, and what I am trying to do is control both X's & Y's RGB value along with their hue & saturation through one exposed control.

However what I want is the luminance value of Y to be independent from X.

I did watch tutorial on doing this with functions, but it was some other instance. Here I am unsure how to get the HSL or HSV avlue to control stuff.

Can someone please guide me?

Thanks & regards
-G
Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:49:21 pm

Let me know if I understand right... You have two colors that are being controlled by the same exposed parameters, but you want to have the luminance set by you in the images, and uneditable?

The way I'm picturing this is that the finished graph would have two options, Hue and Saturation, and you set this, and the output is two colors, both similar, but one brighter than the other. Is this right?

You have two colors that are being controlled by the same exposed parameters

Yes, correct - that's what I want. And this I achieved.

but you want to have the luminance set by you in the images, and uneditable?

Correct again, I want to set luminance value of colour Y by me and not by the end user. For the colour X, I am giving total control to the end user.

The way I'm picturing this is that the finished graph would have two options, Hue and Saturation, and you set this, and the output is two colors, both similar, but one brighter than the other. Is this right?

Yes the output will have two colours, both similar in RGB - but their luminance should be different value. Like you mentioned one can be bright or dark - depends on what the user selects, the other one always stays dark no matter what the user does, the only thing they can change is the RGB value.

I think I understand now.

In the Blending category is a Luminosity node, which can be used for the effect I think you're looking for.

Put the user-selected color as the background color (second connection) and a shade of grey representing your chosen luminosity (but in color mode, not greyscale) as the foreground (top connection) color. This should do what you need.

Thank you very much Cory, I will put this to test and will surely post my results.