Author Topic: normal maps seem be much "weaker"  (Read 1916 times)

I used to paint surface reliefs by height brush then export it texture to normal, apply normal and bake maps from it... but in SP2 that exported normal map seems be much weaker in relief then it was in sp1... is it true?

Not sure what you mean by "true". Do you have an example ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

well I mean, if I make surface relief with height brush and then export this height channels as normal and reimport it as normal map and switched that height channel off... normal map relief is much weaker than that height channel...

Did you try to change the blending mode of the normal map layer in the layer stack ? By default the blending is set to add "details", did you try "combine" instead ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

actually yes... I have it set to combine.
Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:41:21 pm

Are you sure you're not viewing combined normals from both height AND normal channels? I guess that can produce this "double intensity" feel you're probably see as "strong" relief. Basically, if you paint height details in Height channel and bake them in a normal map, then import that normal map an plug it into additional maps, you should disable your layers with "original" height information, because it will be added on top of your normal map. If you switch between height and normal channels in rotation, you shouldn't see any difference in relief ammount.