Author Topic: Paint out bake issues?  (Read 2467 times)

can you still paint out normal map issues, in substance painter 2, like shown in this video?

https://youtu.be/QhcatW6yxQQ?t=1093

Have tried but when i paint nothing happens

Make sure you have a normal map channel in your texture set and set the Normal Mixing in the TextureSet Settings to Replace. This will allow you to paint over your bake. The default Combine setting only allows you to add details to it.

Ok so i made the mistake of not having my normal map in a fill layer on the layer stack. Would be awesome if i didnt have to export my baked normal map, to reimport it so i can paint on it. hopefully thats on the roadmap for the future

Thanks for the help!
Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:04:10 am

You already don't have to. Setting your normal mixing mode to Replace should do the same thing, that's why we introduced this mode in SP2, so you don't have to copy the normal map in a fill layer.

You already don't have to. Setting your normal mixing mode to Replace should do the same thing, that's why we introduced this mode in SP2, so you don't have to copy the normal map in a fill layer.

Now I am confused. When I set Normal mixing mode to Replace the baked normals completely disappear from the model, since I don't have anything in my layer stack to replace them with (let's assume it is empty). So, how do I paint out those details from the baked normal map when I do not see them inside the viewport? I figured that I can add baked normals as a fill layer and paint out details with neutral color in a layer just above it, but I just can't figure the way to do that without using a fill layer with baked normals.

Am I missing something?

Bump :)

With all channels turn on, when I paint a fill layer with a smart mask like egde scratches no normal information is added to the normal channel or the height channel. Maps export exports pure black height and original normal without detail. Can I not use masks when painting normals or height?

This too;

Now I am confused. When I set Normal mixing mode to Replace the baked normals completely disappear from the model
Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:53:53 pm

@treidge My bad, I got confused with some of the early internal discussions we got on this feature :)
Indeed you have to create a fill layer in the stack with your normal as the "Replace" setting bypasses the bake.

@timemachine81 If the material you are masking contains normal or height data, then it should be masked exactly like the other channels, do you have an example where it doesn't work?

I wasn't using a material or smart material, I created a fill layer and added a smart mask to basically just create normal and height data. I did use the Gold Armor smart material which has pre-existing height layers (Metal Torsions, Surface Details, and the Base Metal), and none of that is exported. Am I going about this the wrong way?

EDIT: It looks like the height from the Gold Armor does come through on the height. Can the height be transfered to normal? I want to use these maps in Marmoset, but height doesn't work there. Forgive me, i'm pretty new to this and trying to figure it out.

Thank you :)
Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:48:01 am

When you export your textures, the height is converted and blended into the normal map, so you should be good.

Maybe I haven't slept enough... It works after exporting again. Sorry for wasting your time..