Author Topic: GDC 2016 and a Big Thank You  (Read 1393 times)

Sebastian Deguy, I hope you get to read this....

I was at GDC this year and loved the Substance booth.  A lot of information to share.  Too bad the ND guys couldn't share their graph data with us.  Ha ha!  Anyway, the point of this post is to tell the Sebastian Deguy that Wes and Vincent have been amazing help to myself, and many others on these boards.  I've kept their emails on file and if there's ever a problem I have with a file or a question, I get a response from either of them within 24 hours, maybe 48 depending on their busy schedules with solutions to a problem.  I get up to the Substance booth and Wes takes a look at my name tag and instantly recognizes who I am.  This is such a large industry and to have a moment like that occur, feels pretty great.  I mentioned my name to Vince and instant recognition.  Small talk ensued on both ends and it was just a fun moment for me.

I know I'm not the only one this has happened to.  This post is more of a thank you to Wes and Vincent that hang around these boards and help us out when needed, even taking time out of their workload for whatever new tricks they are working up at Allegorithmic to help us out.  I wanted to bring this up while he was around but my talks and busy schedule conflicted and never got the chance to do so. 

For a guy still on the outside looking to break into the industry, I keep hearing those "horror" stories about how everyone is out for themselves, which to an extent may be true, but those I've met through the three years of going to GDC have proven otherwise.  Wes and Vincent, thank you for the help you've provided to me when I get stuck, providing critique, or tips to improve a graph I sent via email.

I can't be the only one with a story like this...

Sebastian Deguy, I hope you get to read this....

I was at GDC this year and loved the Substance booth.  A lot of information to share.  Too bad the ND guys couldn't share their graph data with us.  Ha ha!  Anyway, the point of this post is to tell the Sebastian Deguy that Wes and Vincent have been amazing help to myself, and many others on these boards.  I've kept their emails on file and if there's ever a problem I have with a file or a question, I get a response from either of them within 24 hours, maybe 48 depending on their busy schedules with solutions to a problem.  I get up to the Substance booth and Wes takes a look at my name tag and instantly recognizes who I am.  This is such a large industry and to have a moment like that occur, feels pretty great.  I mentioned my name to Vince and instant recognition.  Small talk ensued on both ends and it was just a fun moment for me.

I know I'm not the only one this has happened to.  This post is more of a thank you to Wes and Vincent that hang around these boards and help us out when needed, even taking time out of their workload for whatever new tricks they are working up at Allegorithmic to help us out.  I wanted to bring this up while he was around but my talks and busy schedule conflicted and never got the chance to do so. 

For a guy still on the outside looking to break into the industry, I keep hearing those "horror" stories about how everyone is out for themselves, which to an extent may be true, but those I've met through the three years of going to GDC have proven otherwise.  Wes and Vincent, thank you for the help you've provided to me when I get stuck, providing critique, or tips to improve a graph I sent via email.

I can't be the only one with a story like this...

Thanks so much! That is very rewarding to read. This really makes my day! I'm so glad to hear I've been helpful and encouraging. I really love this job and the Substance community and I just want to help as much as possible. It was awesome to meet with you in person at GDC : )

Believe me, I know what its like to be on the outside of the industry, looking to catch a break. I worked over 10 years at a job I didn't like that was not related to anything I wanted to do and I thought it was too late for me. Allegorithmic gave me a dream opportunity and I'm so happy to help others as much as I can. I feel like we as artists are here to help each other. We have the same passions and goals and when we help each other and lift each other up, I think the community grows in a positive way.

I am self-taught and know what its like to struggle to learn new things. For most of my career I was isolated to learn on my own. At Allegorithmic, I am now surrounded by amazing artists and genius developers who are all way above me. I learn so much faster now and I'm so excited to help and share everything I can.

Thank you again for your kind words. I am truly humbled by them and I really take it to heart.

I am always open to anyone who needs help. Feel free to contact me directly with questions : ) We as artists are family : )
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey,
Thanks a lot for this kind message (perfect way to start the day :) )

Thanks to you, we (Wes and myself) can put this post in the balance to negotiate with S√©bastien a Yacht and a Tesla model S, to be the most classy Community managers ever  8)

Seriously, there is not much to add to what Wes said: I think it's us who are lucky enough to get in touch, help and get inspired by the awesome Allegorithmic community.

I felt so rewarded by having the chance to meet you, and so much awesome people at GDC: it's like an adrenaline boost for the rest of the year :)

Keep it up and you will find you way to something great!

Thx again,
Vincent

This has nothing to do with what Vincent said WHAT SO EVER......but Sebastian if you could hook these guys up with the Tesla Model S vehicles for the awesome job they do, that would be great.

On a side note, do you guys have any tutorials or files you could share with me about learning some of the more intermediate/advanced functions?  I know a little bit but I'm not a math or programming type, so it all seems alien to me.  It's on my ever growing long list of things to do.  Ha ha!

Did you have a look at the rotate normal tutorial I did some time ago?
There is some maths inside (and in most of my pixel processor tutorials)

Did you have a look at the rotate normal tutorial I did some time ago?
There is some maths inside (and in most of my pixel processor tutorials)

I have not looked into those videos.  I am currently going through Rogelio's Gnomon tutorial on Cobblestone.  Holy crap!  I love it!  I'll go through your videos today while I'm at work.  Learning a little more about functions would be an interesting twist on my work and what it does for me.