Author Topic: Substance Designer 3.5 sneak peeks  (Read 17881 times)

Hey guys,

We will post a few Substance Designer 3.5 sneak peeks here until we release it: this new iteration for the tool will be launched at GDC in San Francisco (March 27-29).

Here is a first one: the profiler, allowing to visualize directly in the graph the time spent by Substance Engine in each filter. This has been a heavily requested feature, here you go. Hope you like it!

Sébastien
---
Founder and CEO
Allegorithmic

nice :)
is it possible to automatically add the compuation time up to a certain node?

i suspect the orange line is the grouping feature? ;)

No grouping feature unfortunately ;) just colour stream vs grayscale stream.

Not sur what you mean by "is it possible to automatically add the compuation time up to a certain node?"? By default, these times are displayed automatically on all nodes. And if you talk about the sum of a given sub graph, you can just actually DO a subgraph from this section and you will then have the time this meta filter takes in the overall process.
---
Founder and CEO
Allegorithmic

nice :)
is it possible to automatically add the compuation time up to a certain node?

I think you want for example to see how long it takes to compute just a part of the graph (xx nodes) without having to add times by yourself?
For the moment it's unfortunately not planned.
Director of Product Management & COO

oh, i thought i gotcha :P

yes, nicolas, thats what i was thinking about, but the workaround will do, i guess, too...

thanks for the responds!

And now, some performances improvement: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151547635552354

Really really really makes a huge difference: I bet you will LIKE that one ;)
---
Founder and CEO
Allegorithmic

very nice! you didnt show explicitly, so i wanted to ask, does it make the "bitmap paint" node faster, too?

Regarding the bitmap painting we have something really interesting for SD 3.5 also, stay tuned ;)
Director of Product Management & COO

very nice! you didnt show explicitly, so i wanted to ask, does it make the "bitmap paint" node faster, too?

Yes :) in fact, repercussions of your paint strokes along the graph will be way faster indeed. And as Nicolas said, we integrated a little surprise in SD 3.5 in terms of painting workflow, stay tuned!
---
Founder and CEO
Allegorithmic

Quick question:

Are the speed improvements independent of previously cooked sbsar substances ?

Just want to know if I would have to rebake all the substances again (which in itself is just a small pain, thanks to your batchtools :) )

thanks

You won't have to re-cook your substances to get the speed boost in Substance Designer.
However we also improved the cooker and cooking again your sbsar should give you an additional boost too if you are using your substances at runtime.

Yes :) in fact, repercussions of your paint strokes along the graph will be way faster indeed. And as Nicolas said, we integrated a little surprise in SD 3.5 in terms of painting workflow, stay tuned!

Awesome news, indeed! I am so tuned, you cant actually imagine how much! ;D

edit: i do so hope that your "surprise" is 3d painting! :O
Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:47:09 am

Awesome news, indeed! I am so tuned, you cant actually imagine how much! ;D

edit: i do so hope that your "surprise" is 3d painting! :O

Yes, we see you're tuned: and we APPRECIATE your support!

Not this time ;) but still a very very nice thing, hugely requested...
---
Founder and CEO
Allegorithmic

Will their be training video available for the new products?

I'm really excited about multi-materials. But all my woes will be over when you announce Modo integration  ;)

Looking forward to 3.5. Xmas comes early this year!  8)
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast