Author Topic: Substance painter normal map baking from high poly mesh  (Read 11629 times)

Please Guys Help me out,,, i'm having huge problem with SP... this is becoming a nightmare for me...
I've checked xnormal, uvmap layout and they are perfect...
I've tried everything like changing max frontal distance, dilation width, mesh id, normal map format...
I have no idea what i'm doing wrong,,, why this is happening to me... :'( :-\ :'( :'(
Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:02:33 pm

Well... can you try to explain what is the issue first ?
(Attach your log file too : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file )
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

hello sir,
actually i was following a tutorial, i followed every single step from the beginning but now i'm getting problem with normal map baking... it's been three days.. I'm new to substance so my hands are tied...

Did you activate the matching by name feature in the main settings of the baking?
If you did, it means that the naming of your high and low poly meshes do not match, that would explain why some parts are baking fine and some others don't.
If you don't have the matching activated (option set to "always"), make sure to apply a reset Xform modifier to both your gih poly and low poly meshes before exporting.

any chance you can attach you high and log poly mesh?  If you can or dont want to do the whole mesh just attached the high and low of the problem area.

A quick look at your screen shots you want to check a few things.

1. make sure the meshes in the .obj or .fbx are named properly.  This help with baking.
2. make sure the edges on you low mesh are set correctly.  The rule of thumb is, if the UV edges are attached, the edge on the low poly mesh MUST be soft.  If the UV edges are detached, the corresponding edge on your low mesh must be hard.
3. Are you using a cage mesh?  If not, try making one, they do alot better job than letting paint make one for you.
4. last but not least, triangulate your low mesh before loading it into painter.  Painter will triangulate for you but does always do a good job.

-G

I just want to add that although you will apply the edges rule of thumb, not EVERY edge that has attached UVs has to be soft and vice versa. As depending on the look your going for some edges may just need to be hard even if the UVs are connected. It does help though, especially with eliminating seams. I use Maya and found a script that harden only the border edges of my UV shells, the first article link here does an exceptional job of explaining the benefits of hard edges and also provides methods for Maya and Max on how to easily harden your UV shells border edges. The second article goes over something that many may overlook, you simply cannot go too low on polys. Adding some of those same support edge loops on certain areas of the low poly can do wonders. As the high poly detail is being baked on top, if your getting unwanted gradients or falloffs in a certain area you may also want to check that the high poly has enough support loops on that area of the mesh.

A cage shouldn't be necessary and I think painter is one of the first programs that's exceptional at providing a cageless baking method. I can 100% attest to this. Some steps in this method were taught to my friend Chris Chowell by an instructor that was teaching substance painter. I was using a cage prior to this and I feel there's no comparison and the results will show. I would definitely try this method first as I now feel cages are a waste of time after using this method.

1)Your high and low poly must be aligned/centered in your scene and you should always reset xform on both,
2)For Match By Mesh Name to work:your high and low poly must have the SAME name except you append _low to the low poly and _high to the high poly. You MUST apply the suffix to the high and low poly, the Match:By mesh name- option in the baker will show this as well.
3) I normally don't triangulate but doing so is generally recommended. I export low poly with smoothing groups and high poly with smoothing enabled(and I'm going off my settings used in Maya so whatever the Max equivalents are).
4) When baking in painter I leave max frontal at default and set max rear to 0.7, set Match to By Mesh Name and Anti Aliasing to 4x4 or 8x8 and bake normal, world space normal, curvature, and position/thickness. Then I bake the AO separately with AA set to 4x4.

And here's what's even better, You can have your high/low poly meshes in multiple sub parts and apply the aforementioned naming convention to each sub part then just group the sub parts and export them as a single mesh group. When you bake in painter using Match by Mesh Name, painter will match each individual sub part which can give even more accurate results. I also added a 3rd link which I found the other 2 links from. It's a great source that provides a ton of info on normal mapping, it helped me a lot with mesh preparation in order to achieve better bakes.

http://polycount.com/discussion/107196/youre-making-me-hard-making-sense-of-hard-edges-uvs-normal-maps-and-vertex-counts
http://polycount.com/discussion/147227/skew-you-buddy-making-sense-of-skewed-normal-map-details
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_map

first of all thank you guys for your kind replies,

@Jeremie Noguer  yeah I've tried "activate the matching by name", it didn't work. I'm going to recheck everything you said...

@greggdaly_1 sir actually I'm an amateur, I'm studying animation from past 1 year so I don't know the exact ways to do the cage mesh but I'll try to learn that... thanks anyway

@marvinjfisher thank you sir, I'll try to do with your settings..

Hey sorry guys for the trouble,,, I renamed everything & it came perfect... thanks for your time & suggestions..

Hey guys, I know this hasn't been active in awhile, however, I had a question on a few responses.
1) Triangulate: Is it absolutely necessary as I've watched a few of the Allegorithmic tutorials and they don't triangulate.
2) Center Model in Scene: My scene is a library scene with many elements.  What I've been doing is separating each mesh, exporting them into high and low fbx files, however leaving their world space position as they are in the overall scene. Is it necessary to snap all the meshes that I will export as a fbx, to the grid and zero them all out?  I was just smoothing the mesh in place where they are now with frozen transforms.  Is that bad? 
3) Averaging, sharpen, etc. normals: What is the general consensus on this?  What is the best way to deal with "finishing" the uvs for proper exporting as a fbx to be used in Substance? 

I didn't want to start a new post considering that a few of the issues the original poster was having are similar to my issues.  I did notice when I first imported the couch_low.fbx and generated maps in SP with the couch_high.fbx, I did have some artifacts, lines.  Would averaging the normals help? 

Just start a new thread.  Don't worry man. It's a free forum  :D

Readers might not realize right that the original poster's problems got solved already but now you yourself needs help.

It's FREE.   ;)

Hey guys, I know this hasn't been active in awhile, however, I had a question on a few responses.
1) Triangulate: Is it absolutely necessary as I've watched a few of the Allegorithmic tutorials and they don't triangulate.

My knowledge on this topic was gleaned from various posts in the forums here, so it doesn't go deep at all.

My understanding is different applications get different results when they triangulate.  If you stay in Substance Painter (and render with Iray, for example), everything probably looks great.  But if you move your textures to some other game engine or rendering software, it may triangulate differently in some places, and your model will have visible artifacts when you render it.

Simple, dumb example:
Take a simple square (a.k.a. "quad")..........................    [  ]
Painter might triangulate it top-left to bottom-right......    [\]
Other application might go top-right to bottom-left.......    [/]
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Hello everyone,

Have you enabled the pairing feature by name in the baking master setting? :-*

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Hey sorry guys for the trouble,,, I renamed everything & it came perfect... thanks for your time & suggestions.. :P :P :P

Just start a new thread.  Don't worry man. It's a free forum  :D

Readers might not realize right that the original poster's problems got solved already but now you yourself needs help.

It's FREE.   ;)

THanks!!!