Author Topic: roughness map does nothing  (Read 10125 times)

hi, i exported my maps from substance painter as pbr rougness metalness preset. but when i connect them at iRay for Maya to pbr metalness mdl material, the roughness map does nothing. materials looks uniform flat. any thoughts? or better workflow?

hi, i exported my maps from substance painter as pbr rougness metalness preset. but when i connect them at iRay for Maya to pbr metalness mdl material, the roughness map does nothing. materials looks uniform flat. any thoughts? or better workflow?

Hi,

Can you post some screen shots of the setup in Maya?

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

Can you post some screen shots of the setup in Maya?

Cheers,
Wes

thank you wes. i find out i have to use painter MDL material from iray shader library.

Hi
Thanks for the sharing and your time looking into this, but I still see unclear how the exporter from "Substance Painter" doesnt deal with all this conversions etc.
I downloaded the metalic to vray maya files, and its setup for a metalic material, not for as the substance vray exporter will do.
We are not using designer, and only using Painter to speed the workflow we use to do in Mari.
So, no substance files etc or plugins with in Maya to read the substance files.
We are only trying to find out the textures painted in Substance, being exported and how to connect them in Vray, can you show a workflow and image of this setup in Maya/Vray that goes one to one with substance Painter?
is this possible?

thanks,

Hi
Thanks for the sharing and your time looking into this, but I still see unclear how the exporter from "Substance Painter" doesnt deal with all this conversions etc.
I downloaded the metalic to vray maya files, and its setup for a metalic material, not for as the substance vray exporter will do.
We are not using designer, and only using Painter to speed the workflow we use to do in Mari.
So, no substance files etc or plugins with in Maya to read the substance files.
We are only trying to find out the textures painted in Substance, being exported and how to connect them in Vray, can you show a workflow and image of this setup in Maya/Vray that goes one to one with substance Painter?
is this possible?

thanks,

Hi,

I'm sorry for the confusion. Please take a look at the attached image. It shows how setup the textures exported from Painter with the vray preset.

• for the glossiness and 1/ior texture make sure the gamma for these maps is set to 1.0
• diffuse and specular (reflection) should be left to default (gamma 2.2)
• select the "Microfacet GTR (GGX)" brdf (Vray 3.2 only).

Cheers,
Wes

Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:48:34 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi there,

I checked this issue (Substance Painter export).
I think Substance Painter V-Ray export preset is not correct for the standard VRayMtl shader.
As a result of my tests the correct file outputs are something like this:
- Diffuse
- Specular (Not the Reflection output)
- Glossiness
- Metalness (You can convert this into an IOR map inside Maya. I think the IOR map (1/IOR) from Substance Painter is incorrect.
- Normal (you need OpenGL normal map instead of DirectX)

Connections:
Diffuse -> Diffuse Color
Specular -> Reflection Color (I think the original reflection map from Substance Painter is not what we need.)
Glossiness -> Reflection Glossiness
Metalness -> Ramp texture V coord. (first slot: 1.4, scond slot: 20 or something) -> Refraction IOR
Normal -> as usual (Map Type: Normal map in tangent space)

Of course use the color management correctly:
Diffuse and Specular: sRGB
Others maps: Linear

Oh

That's it.

Cheers, D
Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:18:11 pm
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

One step conversion from DirectX Normal map to OpenGL or vice versa.

Open in Photoshop and invert the Green channel.

Cheers, D

Hi there,

I checked this issue (Substance Painter export).
I think Substance Painter V-Ray export preset is not correct for the standard VRayMtl shader.
As a result of my tests the correct file outputs are something like this:
- Diffuse
- Specular (the Reflection output)
- Glossiness
- Metalness (You can convert this into an IOR map inside Maya. I think the IOR map (1/IOR) from Substance Painter is incorrect.
- Normal (you need OpenGL normal map instead of DirectX)

Connections:
Diffuse -> Diffuse Color
Specular -> Reflection Color (I think the original reflection map from Substance Painter is not what we need.)
Glossiness -> Reflection Glossiness
Metalness -> Ramp texture V coord. (first slot: 1.4, scond slot: 20 or something) -> Refraction IOR
Normal -> as usual (Map Type: Normal map in tangent space)

Of course use the color management correctly:
Diffuse and Specular: sRGB
Others maps: Linear

Oh

That's it.

Cheers, D

Thanks Denes!

Really appreciate the post : )

So the vray preset in Painter is not looking to be correct? Is it just the 1/IOR map and the normal in DX format?

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

Specular, Metalness and OpenGL Normal instead of Reflection, IOR (1/IOR) and DirectX Normal.
That's my changes.

Cheers, D

Hey Guys,

I talked with our developers and we've created a example vray scene that uses the sample sphere scene from Painter. The maps were exported using the vray preset from Painter. The preset is working correctly with the material setup shown in this scene. You can grab it here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvzr4df43wczx1w/sphere_smartMats.mb.zip?dl=0

The first attached image shows the maps and where they should be connected to the vray material.

1. In reflection, disable Lock Fresnel IOR to Refraction IOR.
2. The IOR map is placed in the Fresnel IOR shader input slot.
3. BRDF Type needs to be GGX.
4. Make sure the Amount slider is at 1.0 for Reflection and Diffuse.
5. For the file nodes, make sure that Colorspace is set to RAW for Glossiness, IOR and Normal.

Cheers,
Wes

Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:11:53 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,
Thanks for the help.
I checked it. I'm a little bit surprised.
Almost perfect, although I'm not sure why. I'm not super experienced with V-Ray (more like mental ray and Arnold).
For me it is strange how differently handling V-Ray the two IOR slot. If anyone have a detailed explanation about that, I'm looking forward to read it.
But I'm pretty sure you have to use sRGB for Reflection map (it is a color map) and the DirectX Normal looks flipped compare to Substance Painter viewport.

I think the original workflow is better because it doesn't need additional node.

Here is my tests:

Hi Wes,
Thanks for the help.
I checked it. I'm a little bit surprised.
Almost perfect, although I'm not sure why. I'm not super experienced with V-Ray (more like mental ray and Arnold).
For me it is strange how differently handling V-Ray the two IOR slot. If anyone have a detailed explanation about that, I'm looking forward to read it.
But I'm pretty sure you have to use sRGB for Reflection map (it is a color map) and the DirectX Normal looks flipped compare to Substance Painter viewport.

I think the original workflow is better because it doesn't need additional node.

Here is my tests:

Hi Denes,

Oh, it was my mistake on the Reflection. I didn't mean to say for it to be RAW. It does need to be sRGB. I corrected my post above : )

I'll check the normal as well. Indeed it does look like it needs to be OGL. Thanks for testing : )

Cheers,
Wes
Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:15:59 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

Don't for get to add a Vray attribute on each file node for the color space as well as changing to raw or srgb. Also substance calculates the ior from a 0 to 1 percentage i believe and maya is 1 to infinite just about so you have to connect your ior to a divide node by 1 to get the values correct. After all this i get a 1 to 1 apples to apples look from substance to vray. Hope this helps a bit''

Don't for get to add a Vray attribute on each file node for the color space as well as changing to raw or srgb. Also substance calculates the ior from a 0 to 1 percentage i believe and maya is 1 to infinite just about so you have to connect your ior to a divide node by 1 to get the values correct. After all this i get a 1 to 1 apples to apples look from substance to vray. Hope this helps a bit''

Thanks for the info! Can you post a screen shot of your setup? What are you doing with the vray attribute on the file node?

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,
That doesn't necessary anymore (to add the color management attribute).
Finally (from 3.2 and above I believe) V-ray understands Maya's Color Management system.
Just set the file node's Color Space attribute correctly.

And the second one isn't necessary too.
VRayMtl works in a special way when you don't use Refraction IOR as Reflection IOR (turn off Lock Fresnel IOR To Refraction IOR) and set an IOR map as input. It presumes you have an IOR map with values 0-1.

Cheers, D
Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:30:41 pm