Author Topic: Is Substance Painter 2 for me?  (Read 1734 times)

Hello, I am fairly green when it comes to texturing and 3D modeling. I've been teaching myself the ins and outs of architectural visualization for the last year or so. I use B2M sometimes but mostly use Substance Designer to make materials for my scenes (bricks, tiles, carpets, etc). I own Substance Painter 1 through the indie pack but have never really taken the time to learn it.

I know Painter has some amazing features to make materials look weathered, old, scratched, etc. but is there anyway to incorporate it into an archviz workflow where I don't want things to look old and weathered? I'm debating taking the time to learn Painter and/or upgrading to Painter 2 but not sure if I'd get my money's worth. Does anyone here use Painter for archviz?

Hi

did you have a CUDA enabled GPU (Nvidia Graphic Card) ?
if not you loose hole Iray Features you will render all with CPU than and without
any acceleration.
If you have not a Nvidia GPU and your Hardware allows a change of GPU hardware
put the Price of Painter and the Price of a new Graphic Card together than ask you self
if you will do that.
If you have a Cuda compatible GPU Painter was a good solution, but if you sometime
planing chance your Hardware don´t forget new one must have a Nvidia graphic Card ;-)

Andre

Painter relies heavily on the highpoly-baked-to-lowpoly workflow, while in archiviz you tend to just render the highpoly assets directly. Depending on how you like to set up your models and materials, you may or may not like to use painter for archiviz. Painter can be useful to create imperfections, a little bit of dirt, decals, etc, but it won't replace Designer and/or Photoshop by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, it's really easy to learn, so you'd be remiss not to learn it if you already own the license.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:29:37 pm