Author Topic: Terrain Painting Tool ?  (Read 1854 times)

It would be useful to have tool which can allow us to paint large surfaces (like terrains).

I do not have any idea how that would work, but I imagine this tool would be capable of splitting somehow UV map (end exporting them too) of the object into smaller parts which then we could paint separately.

This might not even be possible, just an idea for now ...

What do ya all think ?  :)

You wanna play it soft. We'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard. Let's play it hard.

Anybody, how do you guys paint terrains anyways ? :)
You wanna play it soft. We'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard. Let's play it hard.

no, not yet. there was some talk / workflow demo on GDC, I think - but can not find any footage...
Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:28:50 am

I think if you had a nice set of smart materials--or even just basic materials--for each part of your terrain, you could paint some terrain fairly easily with the current setup. Substance Designer would probably be a good place to start for creating the materials, and then just set them up in Painter with masks. You would end up with one giant texture map, but you could paint in all the unique details you wanted. I've painted on a fairly large mesh with a similar setup, and thought it worked great.

Well, one giant map sounds like pain, would be much better if there is 9 of them twice as smaller for example, and if painter handled seams between them, guess we will all have to wait for this one  :)

Yeah, I still got hope to use SD/SP for terrain-texturing someday - but hopes are not that high, to be honest.
Maybe the GDC footage gives some enlightment...

Cheers