Author Topic: Unreasonable Upgrade Price  (Read 14576 times)

Something to also keep in mind is just how many updates Allegorithmic did for SP1.x that were all free. So it's not like your $99 is only buying SP 2.0.1 (the current live version), but most likely any updates from 2.0.1 --> 2.9.9

Yes you are probably right on this, at least i hope you are. although substance painter 1 has only gone up to 1.7.3 not 1.9.9 and i guess it wont now. but ass we currently dont know what these upgrades will be and i dont know how many new things they can actually add considering the functionality it currently has.

Thanks for the info. I didn't check all the upgrade features, are you even sure you really need them that much?

I am really curious what that mysterious MOOD PACK  finally will be...

They are actually not mysterious. You can have a look at them here: https://store.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_category_type_id=13
Head of Product Management

I just bought this 4 days ago assuming that the upgrade was going to be free........

I was really interested to see what the spec/gloss workflow changes were since I have my own custom engine and doing my own indie development. I don't regret buying, but I'm not going to pay $99 since I just bought it knowing Substance 2 was coming out and it sounded like I would get that update. Definitely sucks.

If you purchased it after February 1st, you have the upgrade for free. You will get it in the coming days on your account, and you can use the trial version in the meantime.
Head of Product Management

I for one would be willing to upgrade right now if they would reveal what is coming in between 2.0 and 2.99 (or 2.72 maybe) ...

Still waiting for them splines in the line tool so I can do me a proper stitching, that is more important to me then IRay, I have IRay for free in DAZ Studio, BTW.

Anyways, I purchased SP tree months ago, and apparently that sucks for me, if I only knew ... :P
You wanna play it soft. We'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard. Let's play it hard.

I personally don't think that the Upgrade price is unreasonable if you have been using it for a year or more but I do feel that the February 1st date for the free upgrade is far too short, I've only had my copy since mid January which is only 2 months ago, why was the the date set so short?
I would have expected at least a 3-5 month leeway for newer customers, missing the cut off by a few weeks is pretty disheartening.
Don't get me wrong I will scrounge up some extra cash to buy it when I can but is there any thought to maybe a lower upgrade price for people who have not had the program all that long, $150 in January and then another $99 to upgrade in March the same year is just not far enough apart for the $99 upgrade price.

Don't get me wrong I will scrounge up some extra cash to buy it when I can but is there any thought to maybe a lower upgrade price for people who have not had the program all that long, $150 in January and then another $99 to upgrade in March the same year is just not far enough apart for the $99 upgrade price.

I feel the same, I got it right after Christmas last year  :)
You wanna play it soft. We'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard. Let's play it hard.

Still waiting for them splines in the line tool so I can do me a proper stitching, that is more important to me then IRay,

Yes, splines would be great (for stitchings, and closed ones that you can region fill). 3D Coat already has them (and other handy painting tools that Painter doesn't offer), so for certain tasks I'll still switch to 3D Coat.

I could well have done without iRay, that is not a feature I would have missed. They should imo have implemented UDIM support right out the box instead.
Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:38:30 am

D3V

Some of the comments in here(the forums) make my stomach turn..and I honestly feel bad for the Substance team.

The industry, about 10 years back was nothing like it is now.
People had respect and decent attitudes(or we all talked like adults to one another at minimum), and ***we all paid for upgrades and products, very little was free and if anything was free, ever, it felt like Super-Xmas to Devs of all ages! ***

'I would assume that Free things would make people kind and happier, content etc..  ..but it appears that guess is so very incorrect.

Sad state of things these days.
Allegorithmic even offers a $20 a month charge and people still complain. They are doing all they can to make this upgrade happen for anyone who wants it..and the minority is thankful, while the majority appears intentionally hurtful.

I am sorry that you Substance guys/gals need to read reactions that are brash & demanding.
- Perhaps they will only understand when they have a family to feed ?
- EB

I'm confused why some people feel like they are owed the new version for free? It's the same with any piece of software. You paid for Painter 1.x, you still have 1.x. No one is forcing you to purchase the Painter 2 upgrade.

I just bought this 4 days ago assuming that the upgrade was going to be free........

I was really interested to see what the spec/gloss workflow changes were since I have my own custom engine and doing my own indie development. I don't regret buying, but I'm not going to pay $99 since I just bought it knowing Substance 2 was coming out and it sounded like I would get that update. Definitely sucks.

As noted many times by Allergorithmic, any purchases after February the 1st will get the upgrade for free. So you will also get it for free seems you bought it a few days ago. Just send them an email asking about it.

D3V

honestly, if you bought it 4 days ago, check your downloads.
It's probably version2 and ur just not quick. :P  #harhar

My feeling is the upgrade price was a little higher than I had expected, before I knew iRay was going to be bundled. With iRay included it is a very fair price in my opinion and I am not wealthy either but I do place value on good tools and their continuing development.

The idea that you buy one version and get upgrades for life for free or really cheap is nice but not a business model that is sustainable. Allegorithmic are growing and need to grow their staff and facilities it all costs money. If we want new features in the future we have to pay now.

I have been with Painter since the start and this is the first paid update in a long line of amazing features, sure it sucks if you bought earlier this year but it happens with phones too do you think Samsung should give you the new model at a discount too :)

Would I have liked to pay less sure especially on my limited budget, do I think it fair I do!

Cheers
Mark
PS I am not sponsored by Allegorithmic and complain enough when it is required.
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

For me iRay is just a tertiary extra. It's not bad, but neither is it a function that helps me do my work. It may be worth 300$ a year for Max, but it's also vastly more useful in Max.

The moodpack I don't care about either, I make all my own materials in Designer.

So yeah, 100$ is somewhat steep when you consider only what's in the package, but I upgraded anyway because I have faith in Allegorithmic that the updates that will happen until Painter 3 will make it worth it. YMMV.

I never said i expected every future update to be free, and if the software was upgraded to the extent it was different / worth the upgrade (i.e had a ton of new features that make it worthwhile/useful for the work) then thats fine (which it may well be by the time substance 3 comes out). most of you here seems to be ignoring the thing i was saying about, purely that the fact that the price now is the same as the price when i bought it which is why having that high of an upgrade price is what i consider unreasonable.

$149 when i bought it - substance painter 1

$149 now plus all of substance painter 2 updates to come

but if i want that, my $149 becomes $248

if someone now wanted to buy it and it cost them $248 to buy substance painter 2, i wouldn't see a problem. as they then pay the same as what i would pay to get the same content. Yes this is just the start of the substance painter 2 and (hopefully) has alot of updates to come adding more content making it "worth" the upgrade cost, but this is why i find paying nearly double for what someone else can pay unreasonable.

and as other people in the forums have said the February first cut off is close, someone said something more like a 5-6 month backup (dont even know if i come into that category anyway) would have been better. because with a month, at the end of the day you could just refund the product, and buy it new getting it free anyway so have such a short cutoff of when you get the upgrade free is somewhat unfair to those who bought not that long before at the same price. this is my whole point not what everyone else seems to be focusing on of "why all you people expect free upgrades for life" etc which is not what i am saying in the slightest.

and when people compare it to physical products, although i know what you mean, i don't think that a physical product is comparably the same as software (whether they are or are not) although both physical and software have costs to develop, adding an extra tool or feature to a software update is "easy" (not saying coding the software / creating the updates are by any means easy) whereas is harder to do that with a physical object (depending on the object)

i like the product and the company who seem helpful which is why i bought the software in the first place, i just feel it is a very high upgrade price considering what i have said, and maybe if i had alot of money i would have bought it without question, but as someone who has very little, this is why i question the upgrade price / new price / timeframe. Clearly most of you see it a different way, which is fine, all just our opinion but if you are going to comment on posts like these , focus on the thing they are actually saying rather than focusing on different things.

Well it looks like the concerns about the price are being listened too.

The upgrade price has been reduced to $75 from $99 ie half the full price.

How many companies are that quick to respond and that reasonable.

By the way you will get a refund apparently. :)
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group