Author Topic: Substance Painter 2 upgrade more expensive than Designer  (Read 4122 times)

Does anyone think that the upgrade price is a bit expensive?

I was going to upgrade asap for 79$ but with the strong dollar and the bank account below the green line I having second thoughts. I know it's only 20$ more but hey I am in real crisis here ;(.

For now trial period it is.

What do you guys think?
@No_Collision
Astrophotography, Landscapes and 3D Computer Graphics.
www.nocollision.com

Keep in mind you are getting a store credit for a 50 dollar mood pack.

I so think of it as spending 21.00 for a 50 mood pack

Yeah I've just read that in the other thread. I really feel bad for pointing it out, it's the economic situation that drives me here. I would gladly just pay it right now like "shut up and take my money" ;D. I really though that the price was going to be like 79$ and even that was a bit painfull for the pocket. Well I guess it'll go away in a couple of days. Maybe it's the disappoint speaking here.

Thanks nmargie. At least We'll get some stuff from the store ;P

Good marketing from Allegorithmic by the way ;P
@No_Collision
www.nocollision.com

What mood pack are we talking about here exactly?

I want to ask same, i have no idea whats going on. BTW: I have Indie version if it makes difference.

Check the https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-painter
Just at the end in the Content section:
Additional content on Substance Store

What I don't see is the 50$ mood pack. It does not specify but I guess nmargie knows something I don't.
@No_Collision
www.nocollision.com

Hey guys,

you will get a free Moodpack with a value of $49 when purchasing Substance Painter 2 before April 15th. You can read it here: https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-painter-2
I'm not sure, though, if you'll be able to choose the one you like or if you just get one.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey guys,

you will get a free Moodpack with a value of $49 when purchasing Substance Painter 2 before April 15th. You can read it here: https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-painter-2
I'm not sure, though, if you'll be able to choose the one you like or if you just get one.

Best Regards

Thanks for info :)

Hi all,

I think it's important to explain a few things:
- Substance Painter 2 brings a lot of new things, and we feel people should try it first to judge if the price is worth it or not.
We realize we didn't communicate about all the things we changed in SP2. I'm pretty sure for example that nobody noticed you can now do some I/O scripting or that it handles both height and normal map workflow automatically (rotate normal maps with the stamps anyone? :), the full spec/gloss workflow support, non-PBR shader and template, Clone and Smudge are non destructive (which is absolutely unique!), full screen mode, orthographic view, new content... and a lot of other stuffs. It's truly the biggest Update we made for a software so far.
Just spend a few days with the trial version, and then you'll be able to judge if it's worth it or not :)

- All the people who upgrade or purchase Substance Painter 2 will get a Mood Pack. We didn't communicate much about it, we will provide more information in the coming days.
Here are the 3 mood packs so far: https://store.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_category_type_id=13

- This is only the 2.0 version. Just see how Substance Painter evolved between the 1.0 and 1.7 version, and imagine it will be the same for SP2.

I hope it makes things more clear :)

Nicolas
Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:01:33 am
Head of Product Management

Is the Substance Store a new thing, or was I just blind and never saw it before?

Anyways.. yes Nicolas, it does clarify a lot, thank you.

Is the Substance Store a new thing, or was I just blind and never saw it before?

Anyways.. yes Nicolas, it does clarify a lot, thank you.

It's totally new, we actually soft-launched it just today :)
We are going to communicate about it in the coming days. It's not going to be "regular content" store like many others on the Internet, it's more a store with curated content for high quality assets. More information soon.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

Hi all,

I think it's important to explain a few things:
- Substance Painter 2 brings a lot of new things, and we feel people should try it first to judge if the price is worth it or not.
We realize we didn't communicate about all the things we changed in SP2. I'm pretty sure for example that nobody noticed you can now do some I/O scripting or that it handles both height and normal map workflow automatically (rotate normal maps with the stamps anyone? :), the full spec/gloss workflow support, non-PBR shader and template, Clone and Smudge are non destructive (which is absolutely unique!), full screen mode, orthographic view, new content... and a lot of other stuffs. It's truly the biggest Update we made for a software so far.
Just spend a few days with the trial version, and then you'll be able to judge if it's worth it or not :)

- All the people who upgrade or purchase Substance Painter 2 will get a Mood Pack. We didn't communicate much about it, we will provide more information in the coming days.
Here are the 3 mood packs so far: https://store.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_category_type_id=13

- This is only the 2.0 version. Just see how Substance Painter evolved between the 1.0 and 1.7 version, and imagine it will be the same for SP2.

I hope it makes things more clear :)

Nicolas

Hm not directly related but I remember the email saying something about compensation for current live users for the stopping of monthly drops. What was that again?

Yeah the features look amazing! To be honest I can imagine why many people feel frustrated especially if they bought Painter during latter half of last year. Especially for students and like it can be a big sting. Then again being in the live I suppose it's easier for me to relate to the commercial side Allegorithmic has to consider since I'm not directly affected as much.

I would personally prefer a $20 credit for a material pack than a $50 credit for one of these mood packs.  They are too specialized and I have zero interest in them.

Hm not directly related but I remember the email saying something about compensation for current live users for the stopping of monthly drops. What was that again?

Yeah the features look amazing! To be honest I can imagine why many people feel frustrated especially if they bought Painter during latter half of last year. Especially for students and like it can be a big sting. Then again being in the live I suppose it's easier for me to relate to the commercial side Allegorithmic has to consider since I'm not directly affected as much.

You still got live? I bet you were paying monthly right? Because it seems they are treating the monthly payers much better than they do those how paid outright. If I would have known this  fromt he beginning I would have either went monthly or not bought at all

Hey nmargie,

why do you think the people paying on a monthly basis are preferred? What benefits they have you have not?

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter