Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 3148 times)

Okay so for the first one: Where can I download the old sample files? It'd be nice to still have them for reference even though there is nothing wrong with the new alien girl.

Second question about the SP2 sample Vela (?):

I see the character texture set has some of the UV layouts (the iris, some head tentacles etc) set outside the 0-1 space on negative side. This strikes me as a way of doing symmetry to save texture space but I didn't know it could be done like this in Substance Painter. (I always thought the object normal maps would be screwed) Could someone enlighten me on what's going on there with the UVs of the sample?

Hey 3rton93,

you need to grab the sample files from an older Substance Painter installation.
I don't know what has changed in the 2D view and I am quite surprised, too. ;)

You can, however, do it this way. It's quite common. When you stack the UVs you might get normal issues but when you move the mirrored UVs exactly +1 or -1 outside the 0-1 UV space, your normal will be OK, even when the object is mirrored.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

This is pretty cool!

I notice (just testing this with simple ball) that Painter automatically knows to use symmetry (when the UVlayout is mirrored to negative 0-1 space) but the painting only works on one side of the mesh. Is this engine limitation, just something no one else needed or some kind of bad practice I'm unaware of since I'm a noob? I get this wouldn't really be useful for the kind of cases where the mirrored objects are single entities (say in Vela the tentacles that are on different sides of her head) but the thing I'm testing on (ball split in the middle) and something like a face would prolly be more intuitive if you could use both sides for painting instead of just the side that's in the 0-1 space. (at least in the 3D view.)
Other than that how do engines react to this kind of UVs. Is this mandatory enough that if I drop model like this to UE4 or Unity the engine will know to look for the mirror side from the negative space? Based on what you said it doesn't matter which direction you move the mirror UV's to either.

As for the old samples that sounds like a total pain you probably can't pester anyone from the staff to do it? :'D Well guess not. I figured it'd be nice to have them in the share or similar but guess not. Will have to look into doing installs when I get the time from school to mess with that P:

Did I say something wrong?  :-\

Hey 3rton93,

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. Nothing's wrong :)
That the painting only works on one side can be confusing, yes, but I don't know if this could be resolved that easy. You should be able to work this way in the Unreal Engine or Unity, too, yes. I always move the UVs in the X+1 direction, but it doesn't matter as far as I know.

I guess it should be possible to make the old sample files available on Substance Share, but I'm not sure about this.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey 3rton93,

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. Nothing's wrong :)
That the painting only works on one side can be confusing, yes, but I don't know if this could be resolved that easy. You should be able to work this way in the Unreal Engine or Unity, too, yes. I always move the UVs in the X+1 direction, but it doesn't matter as far as I know.

I guess it should be possible to make the old sample files available on Substance Share, but I'm not sure about this.

Best Regards

Cool to know, if someone can enlighten if it's engine side limitation or something easy to implement that'd be cool! (Someone from the coding side?)
Well cool cool will do some digging I suppose P:

The old samples are available on Substance Share. :)
https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_category_id=72

As for the symmetry, Substance Painter can only paint inside the 0-1 UV range at the moment. You will have to move the UVs back on top of each other in order to be able to paint on both sides.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

The old samples are available on Substance Share. :)
https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_category_id=72

As for the symmetry, Substance Painter can only paint inside the 0-1 UV range at the moment. You will have to move the UVs back on top of each other in order to be able to paint on both sides.

oooooooo damn man, thx!

hm I guessed it'd be limitation like that but cool to have it verified. Well I guess it's something to get used to it's not as necessary when texturing as it is when sculpting P: cheers mate!