Author Topic: Missing painted information when copying between texture sets.  (Read 2510 times)

When I copy layers between two texture sets that are on objects with identical UVs most of the painted information is lost.
I'm attaching images showing the painted pillar and the pillar I copied layers to.
I get the same result if I copy the layers, make a smart material or copy the content of the layers. However if I put the smart material on the pillar I originally painted on or copy and paste the layers onto that pillar then all of the painted detail does show up.

One thing that confuses me about this is that a little bit of the painted information that does get copied. Almost all of it is lost, but not all of it.

Make sure your second pillar has the same coordinates and the same scale as the first one when you export it.
The details that stays is probably the only detail you painted in the 2D view right? This happens because the new mesh has moved and so all the painting done in 3d is now projected on an empty space.

Oh okay. So then moving any mesh that has been painted will also cause problems like this. Seems like it would make a lot more sense to have painted strokes be mapped to the object (and it's UVs) rather than the 3D space around it, but maybe there is a reason to do it the other way.

Painting it in 3d allows us to repaint it later at any time, if your uvs change for example or if you change the topology of the mesh. That's also why you can change the resolution whenever you want.

For the second pillar to be recognized as having the same coordinates would it need to be in the same place or would it work if they are both at x0,y0,z0 in the Maya channel box? If you know. Because you can freeze position in maya to reset those numbers and both pillars could have the same translate values while being in different places.

They need to overlap in world-space, the local transformation doesn't matter, even after a "Reset Transform" in Maya.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.