Author Topic: Heightmap in Normalmap's Alpha Channel  (Read 2655 times)

Hey guys,

Im trying to get a heightmap inside the normal map's alpha channel. It seems no matter how i set it up, unreal/substance plugin puts something else in there:

Only the alpha channel is displayed.

in Substance im doing this: (to be absolutely sure the information i want is in the normalmap.

These are the output's settings:

Is this the right way to do it?

Images got mixed up a bit, I hope its clear.

Images got mixed up a bit, I hope its clear.

Hi Käy,

For the usage, you don't need to have an alpha. If you are using the substance plugin, you should leave the usage at default. It might be getting read incorrectly with the extra usage you have set. The usage settings are very specific in the plugins.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey Wes, thanks for the speedy reply,

If i start a new substance, and use a normalmap output from there (unaltered), i still get something in the alpha map that doesnt look like a heightmap. I believe it is an extra copy of the blue channel, that substance outputs in the alpha channel.

Im working on a terrain shader, that has no more slots left for textures, so i have to resort to channel packing to get more information in there.

What would be a good place for me to store the height in? (Im having basecolour that has an alpha left, roughness metallic and AO are in a separate output as RGB, but the alpha there is open too.)

Thanks in advance, if i need to clarify anything, or send some screenshots, let me know :)

Hey Wes, thanks for the speedy reply,

If i start a new substance, and use a normalmap output from there (unaltered), i still get something in the alpha map that doesnt look like a heightmap. I believe it is an extra copy of the blue channel, that substance outputs in the alpha channel.

Im working on a terrain shader, that has no more slots left for textures, so i have to resort to channel packing to get more information in there.

What would be a good place for me to store the height in? (Im having basecolour that has an alpha left, roughness metallic and AO are in a separate output as RGB, but the alpha there is open too.)

Thanks in advance, if i need to clarify anything, or send some screenshots, let me know :)

Hi Käy,

I would recommend to pack the channel similar to what we do in the UE4 export option of Painter. As a variation of this, you can have an RGBA and place the roughness in R, the metallic in B, AO in G and the height in the alpha. Would that work for what you need?

Cheers,
Wes

Hey Wes!

Sure, ill put the height in the alpha of tha roughness metallic AO map. Thanks!

I think there is a bug that copies/dumps the B channel into the Alpha channel. No matter what i put in the B channel, the Alpha will carry the same information as the B channel in Unreal.

I think there is a bug that copies/dumps the B channel into the Alpha channel. No matter what i put in the B channel, the Alpha will carry the same information as the B channel in Unreal.

Hi Käy ,

I will check into this. Can you post the graph?

Cheers,
Wes
Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:33:41 pm

Hey Wes, sure thing, ill mail it. Cheers!

Somewhat related to this, if I pack my rough, metallic, AO and height maps in Designer with RGBA, would the plugin in UE4 be able to automatically plug each channel respectively to the material input?  Or do I need to set it up somehow?  If so, could you please explain how, I've no idea how the plugin works :]