Author Topic: Is it possible to re-import a substance in ue4, and update all assets.  (Read 3170 times)

As the title says, is it possible to re-import a substance and have the associated files all update. If not, this creates a really frustrating workflow that makes it very difficult to iterate. Hypothetically, when I change my substance and reimport it, all of the texture files should update accordingly, because, otherwise what are they referencing?

To Clarify, re-importing does nothing for the actual texture assets and factory instance aside from orphaning them and this seems backwards. There has to be a way to update the files without replacing them every time. (This would cause havok on source control as well as productivity and would probably make me reconsider integrating substance into my workflow if there's no solution.)
Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:22:36 pm

As the title says, is it possible to re-import a substance and have the associated files all update. If not, this creates a really frustrating workflow that makes it very difficult to iterate. Hypothetically, when I change my substance and reimport it, all of the texture files should update accordingly, because, otherwise what are they referencing?

To Clarify, re-importing does nothing for the actual texture assets and factory instance aside from orphaning them and this seems backwards. There has to be a way to update the files without replacing them every time. (This would cause havok on source control as well as productivity and would probably make me reconsider integrating substance into my workflow if there's no solution.)

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry for this issue. This is a known bug at this time. We have a fix for this reimport issue. It will be when UE4 releases 4.11, which should be soon.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

It's worth noting that I wasn't trying to re-import the instances because it would crash UE4, but then re-importing the factory just did nothing. I reinstalled the plugin, and was able to re-import the substance through the instances. That works almost perfectly, the only exception being that when you open unreal engine, the substances revert to a previous state. Definitely not as big of an issue as not being able to re-import at all.

It's worth noting that I wasn't trying to re-import the instances because it would crash UE4, but then re-importing the factory just did nothing. I reinstalled the plugin, and was able to re-import the substance through the instances. That works almost perfectly, the only exception being that when you open unreal engine, the substances revert to a previous state. Definitely not as big of an issue as not being able to re-import at all.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reporting this. The devs have marked it as a bug and they'll get it fixed.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reporting this. The devs have marked it as a bug and they'll get it fixed.

Cheers,
Wes

Has there been any update on this? I am trying to reimport my substances and it is crashing UE4.

Hey gosusorai,

Is your issue related to source control as well? What version of Unreal are you using?
Integrations QA Analyst

Hey gosusorai,

Is your issue related to source control as well? What version of Unreal are you using?

No, I'm not using any source control. I'm using the newest version - 4.17. I've tried re-importing every element and each one results in a crash.

Hey gosusorai,

No, I'm not using any source control. I'm using the newest version - 4.17. I've tried re-importing every element and each one results in a crash.

Hmm, not seeing the crash on my end in 4.17. Can you upload the substance you are using so I can take a look?  :)
Integrations QA Analyst

Will this work? It wasn't letting me upload the .sbsar. It won't let me upload the dependencies either.
Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:47:48 am

Will this work? It wasn't letting me upload the .sbsar. It won't let me upload the dependencies either.

Hey gosusorai,

If you could put it all in a zip file and send to me at keston.gregory@allegorithmic.com that would work. :)
Integrations QA Analyst

Hey gosusorai,

Thank you for sending your substance. :) Just reimporting the graph instance/instance factory did not crash it for me. However when I brought the generated 'Merged' texture into the material and reimported, it crashed.

Is this the issue you are having as well?
Integrations QA Analyst

Yes, that seems to be the case for me too.

This is a known issue with reimporting substances using generated textures. The dev team is aware of it, and I hope that it can be fixed soon. I'm sorry for the problem this causes you. :(
Integrations QA Analyst

This is a known issue with reimporting substances using generated textures. The dev team is aware of it, and I hope that it can be fixed soon. I'm sorry for the problem this causes you. :(

Oh, okay. I thought it was something that I had to change on my end. Thank you for the help.