Author Topic: Import compression issue.  (Read 835 times)

Hi

I recently ran into an issue that was causing my imported material to be set as TC_Grayscale within UE4. Losing it's other channels in the process. My goal was to pack multiple grayscale channels into a single rgba file.

R = Roughness
G = Metallic
B = AmbientOcclusion
A = Height

After an hours worth of failed googling I finally figured out the solution / cause on my own. I had assigned multiple Integration Attributes to a single output, hoping it would automatically hook them up in UE4 during the import process like it does for single purpose outputs. Unfortunately this did not work. It appears the importer uses the first one in the list to determine which type of compression to use. Since the first one was roughness, it decided to make it grayscale. I added a dummy baseColor attribute to the top of the list, it then imported correctly as TC_Default and I was able to use all 4 channels as intended.

With all of this in mind, it would be very useful if a multi-attribute output could automatically have each channel hooked up during the import process. Thanks for reading. :)

Hi

I recently ran into an issue that was causing my imported material to be set as TC_Grayscale within UE4. Losing it's other channels in the process. My goal was to pack multiple grayscale channels into a single rgba file.

R = Roughness
G = Metallic
B = AmbientOcclusion
A = Height

After an hours worth of failed googling I finally figured out the solution / cause on my own. I had assigned multiple Integration Attributes to a single output, hoping it would automatically hook them up in UE4 during the import process like it does for single purpose outputs. Unfortunately this did not work. It appears the importer uses the first one in the list to determine which type of compression to use. Since the first one was roughness, it decided to make it grayscale. I added a dummy baseColor attribute to the top of the list, it then imported correctly as TC_Default and I was able to use all 4 channels as intended.

With all of this in mind, it would be very useful if a multi-attribute output could automatically have each channel hooked up during the import process. Thanks for reading. :)

Hi,

The integrations don't support the channels on the outputs. You need to leave the output as RGBA. The packing should be done in the node graph of Designer using the RGBA merge node.

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja