Author Topic: The Fairlady (Datsun 240Z)  (Read 1258 times)

Inspired by games like Project Cars, Forza and DriveClub – I really wanted to create an authentic looking car, and try and get it running in a game engine as a drift car (a real world passion of mine.)

I choose the iconic Datsun 240z as my subject, and every effort was put into researching the interior and exterior of the car to make it as true to life as possible, I also made an effort to try and make it look like a car with a life. Something that is being enjoyed and not just looked at.

The car has 3 texture sets, one for the interior, one for the exterior and one for the wheels and calipers (this was to allow easier customization and control depending on how the model is used.)

The model was created in 3dsMax, Baked in substance designer and then textured using photoshop and substance painter.

Here are some realtime renders created in Marmoset, I chose to go for a clean studio setting to avoid the floating car look.

I am also working on a drifting demo game using this model in UE4, I might share that here in the future when it is more developed.

www.GraemePalmer.co.uk - currently looking for work.

www.artstation.com/artist/graemepalmer

I hope some of you like this. :)

Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:11:51 pm

Really nice :)

I think you would gain a bit if your leather texture is are a bit more tiled and if you diminish the intensity of the normal map

Really nice :)

I think you would gain a bit if your leather texture is are a bit more tiled and if you diminish the intensity of the normal map

Thanks!

And you are quite right! Unfortunately I actually textured this in a pretty bad way. I made it in substance designer in December, as I wanted to utilize the substances for changing colours etc in UE4, but only blocked out textures as I was all-ready over the time I had deadlined myself for.

But upon starting to setup the renders last week, I decided it wasn't even worth showing with just the basic textures since I knew I could fix a lot of it in painter pretty quickly. So I ended up just opening the model fully textured in Painter, and going over everything for weathering and details. But it was a bad way to work, and having the old "finished" normal map in the normal slot removed a lot of control from what I could do in painter without making things messy.

Haha, Lessons learned though! I will remember your advice for next time however.

Thanks again. :)