Author Topic: Welcome to Flagstaff, Arizona!  (Read 1905 times)

Flagstaff, Arizona, is one of my favorite places on earth! I lived there for a good while in 2012 and 2013 while doing volunteer work in the national parks and other nature reservations around the south west USA. I was looking at pictures and thinking back of my time there when I decided that I wanted to make a model of this sign that greets you as you enter town. Modeled in Cinema 4D, baked in Designer and textured in Painter, with some help from Photoshop and B2M 3. It took about 3 hours from start to finish.
Welcome to Flagstaff, Arizona by thethieme on Sketchfab
Here's the real sign, if you're curious! :D

Have a good one!
Alex

Hey Alex,

looking good! Great to see what you did there with passion :)

I have just two little things to mention here:
The stones are looking more like pebble or cobblestone, than the flat stone plates like on the picture. The grout is concrete/cement and no soil/grass, too.

And the dirt parts could be more realistic and detailed. There should be dirt on top of the beams, for instance.

Great work, anyway :)

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey Alex,

looking good! Great to see what you did there with passion :)

I have just two little things to mention here:
The stones are looking more like pebble or cobblestone, than the flat stone plates like on the picture. The grout is concrete/cement and no soil/grass, too.

And the dirt parts could be more realistic and detailed. There should be dirt on top of the beams, for instance.

Great work, anyway :)

Best Regards

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I couldn't find a better texture for the base when I was making it. I also agree that there should be more dirt on top of the beams. The wood isn't perfect either and I noticed a couple other mistakes as well, so I might revisit this and update the textures when I have time!  :)

How did you create the pebbles or rock formations?

How did you create the pebbles or rock formations?

It's just a set of textures. I can't remember where from, but I find a lot of my textures on textures.com (former cgtextures), so chances are it's a texture from there that I took through Substance2Material 3 to create roughness and height maps.