Author Topic: Linear Workflow with Substance  (Read 46162 times)

Ok, how does this topic relate to Unity5?

Like when in "Player project settings" Color Space is set to"Linear" - will the shader expect a linear BaseColor texture-map?

kind regards

Hi Elowan,

With Unity, you don't need to make any changes to the textures. The Unity shader does this internally so it assumes the defaults are enabled. It will thus linearize the grayscale maps.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey Wes,

ja ok - the greyscale maps are just fine (and linear anyway), I just wondered about the color map slot in the standard shader, when player-settings are "linear", if it gets affected somehow and be expected to be linear, although it is sRGB.

Cheers!

edit: Hmmm, the more I think of it.. I guess Unity converts basecolor to linear, internally?!
Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:53:02 pm

Hey Wes,

ja ok - the greyscale maps are just fine (and linear anyway), I just wondered about the color map slot in the standard shader, when player-settings are "linear", if it gets affected somehow and be expected to be linear, although it is sRGB.

Cheers!

edit: Hmmm, the more I think of it.. I guess Unity converts basecolor to linear, internally?!

Hey Elowan,

The unity shaders are converting the maps to linear space that are needed. So for baseColor and Diffuse, they are linearized, but other map that are not color, are not linearized. The shader handles it so you don't have to check the bybass srgb sampling option.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja