Author Topic: How can I turn a baked normal into a substance?  (Read 974 times)

Hello guys. I'm a newbie trying to establish my workflow and I would like to use Blender for modeling, Substance for texturing and then import everything into Unity. I'm trying to build a simple road network and I already know a little of those 3 tools, but I need a little help about how to turn a normal map into a complete substance. What I want to do is model the low poly geometry in Blender, then build a high poly version of the low poly with the subsurface modifier, bake the normal map and import that into Substance Designer. I already watched a video giving me a little bit of info, but the video was deleted and I've searched for hours and found nothing similar so I came here o ask.

I remember a little bit about the video and I know that I need to turn the normal map into a curvature map because that's what I plan to use to build what will be the concrete slabs that will conform my sidewalk. The thing is that I have no idea about how to do that and I need a little help with that. If somebody knows a better alternative I would like to hear it as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey, if you want to use your normal into a substance, you can either drag'n'drop into your graph (to link or import it), or create a color input node, that will allow later on to plug whatever normal to your substance (recommended).

Then the substance will depend of what you want to achieve: could give some hint ? (screenshot ref, you normal map? etc...)

What I want to do is turn my normal map into a round sidewalk texture with edge damage, indents, crevices and a little bit of stains and dirt. I'm following a tutorial I found on Youtube where the author teaches how to build a stone brick texture with the brick generator as base. I'm following that tutorial and so far I have a nice heightmap and normal, but the problem is that I need to turn that stone brick texture into a round sidewalk. The brick generator don't provide a way to make a round 1/4 of a circle base brick so I modeled a high poly mesh in Blender and baked the base normal.

The problem is that I need a way to turn it into a grayscale similar to the base image of the bricks like in the tutorial that I'm following. I saw another tutorial where the author turned a normal into a curvature map and used it as a base for his texture, but the video was deleted and I have no reference about how to do that anymore. Anyway, I guess that in this forums somebody should know how to turn a normal map into a base texture for edge damage, etc... so I came here for advise.

I'm including a pic of my normal map and also the normal map applied to my low poly mesh:

This is my normal map. As you can see is the base of a round sidewalk corner with no edge damage or wear yet. I want to use it as base for my texture but I need a way to turn it into a grayscale or something similar. I don't know how to do that so I need help.

Here is my low poly mesh with the base normal applied.

If somebody know an alternate way to make a round sidewalk texture I would like to hear it as well. Thanks for your help!
Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:33:12 pm

the "normal to height" node may be your friend ;)