Author Topic: Substance for Unity 5: Creating PBR textures for environments and characters  (Read 54109 times)

I've gotten to the end of Ch 2-03 in the Substance for Unity series, but I'm missing several usage options for the output node, including the curvature option. I've attached a couple of screenshots to hopefully help understand. I'm using the latest version of Substance Designer, and the only change I've made to the software is rearranging the windows across my 2 monitors, I don't believe I've changed any setting which should hide output options.

Thank you!

Hi,

Something seems strange in the screen shot as you don't see the format and mipmaps options for the output. Did you create an output? It should like the attached screen shot.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi,

for the output node's format and mipmaps options the substance's "Output(s) computation" seems to need to be set to "Yes".

Is the source files available for the tutorial ? thanks

Hi,

Yes, you can find them here.

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/1277

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Having issues with blending my nodes together in chapter 02-02. Towards the 16 minute mark of the video, I am not able to connect the two of my blend nodes showing in this screenshot. I have tried in compact material mode and standard and there was no difference. Any help?

Having issues with blending my nodes together in chapter 02-02. Towards the 16 minute mark of the video, I am not able to connect the two of my blend nodes showing in this screenshot. I have tried in compact material mode and standard and there was no difference. Any help?

Hi,

I'm sorry, I can't tell the exact nodes from the screen shot. It might be cut off. The dotted red line is indicating that you are trying to mix a color input with a grayscale input. That is coming from the levels connecting into the first blend node. You are feeding in color data but trying to blend it with a grayscale backround.

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

I'm on Substance for Unity: Chapter 01-03 Using Substances in Unity.  I just imported rocks_dirt_ground.sbsar and applied the material to my plane.  I see the Procedural Properties (Puddles, Dirt and rocks, etc) in the Inspector.  However, adjusting their values seem to have no affect on the material in the preview plane.

Great tutorial series, btw.  Really enjoying it.

Thanks
-Sherry

Actually, let me take that back.  My machine is so slow that it's taking several minutes for the preview pane to update.  :(

Sorry about that.

Thanks for this Wes - awesome of you to put out this free stuff. Is there something like this already out there for Unreal? Or plans to do it in the future?

Thanks for this Wes - awesome of you to put out this free stuff. Is there something like this already out there for Unreal? Or plans to do it in the future?

HI,

Thanks very much! I recently just did a live stream on making a landscape material in UE4 using this same Substance. Please give that a view and let me know if you have any questions : )

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,

I'm running into a small problem with the bits per channel setting (Substance for Unity: Chapter 02-07 Publishing the Substance ).

My material blend node normal somehow seems to output 8bpc, while both normal inputs are set at 16. This happens with both relative to parent and relative to input. However, I don't see any visual difference between the 16bpc input and the 8bpc output. What's happening here?

And I also want to thanks you. Both the software and the tutorials have been great so far, it makes the learning and the adapting the software to my own pipeline so much better :).

Hi,

I'm running into a small problem with the bits per channel setting (Substance for Unity: Chapter 02-07 Publishing the Substance ).

My material blend node normal somehow seems to output 8bpc, while both normal inputs are set at 16. This happens with both relative to parent and relative to input. However, I don't see any visual difference between the 16bpc input and the 8bpc output. What's happening here?

And I also want to thanks you. Both the software and the tutorials have been great so far, it makes the learning and the adapting the software to my own pipeline so much better :).

Hi,

Thanks very much : ) So glad you like the videos.

Are you saying that in Unity, the normal map output by the substance is 8bpc? I think this is a limitation of the CPU Engine and it generates at 8bpc in Unity.

Cheers,
wes
Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:43:57 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

No, I meant inside substance designer. In an empty graph, place a "Material Blend" node, then input in two 16bpc normal maps. When I double click the normal output, or any node it links to, I'm getting an 8bpc normal map. The material blend's output format is set to 'relative to input', so when inputting two 16bpc I expected the output to be 16bpc. But it's 8bpc.  It's probably me not understanding things though :)

No, I meant inside substance designer. In an empty graph, place a "Material Blend" node, then input in two 16bpc normal maps. When I double click the normal output, or any node it links to, I'm getting an 8bpc normal map. The material blend's output format is set to 'relative to input', so when inputting two 16bpc I expected the output to be 16bpc. But it's 8bpc.  It's probably me not understanding things though :)

Hi,

The issue with the relative to input is that it's relative only to the primary input. In case of the material blend node, this the input with the little dark circle. If the primary input is blank or is an 8bpc input then all of the outputs will be 8bpc. This is not very intuitive in that you would assume that each channel output is relative to the specific input, but unfortunately it is only the primary input that is relative.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Great tutorial, BUT...when I finally try to build the scene with Unity, the build crashes at start and Unity shows this error (when I force the new build to close):

material->IsFlagEnabled (ProceduralMaterial::Flag_Clone) || m_PingedMaterial == NULL || m_PingedMaterial == material UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

btw...this problem is not present if I delete the subsance material from the scene, and the problem also occurs if I open the complete example unity package from the tutorial download  :( (I am using Unity 5.4.1f1)

Anyone any idea what is wrong/I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Great tutorial, BUT...when I finally try to build the scene with Unity, the build crashes at start and Unity shows this error (when I force the new build to close):

material->IsFlagEnabled (ProceduralMaterial::Flag_Clone) || m_PingedMaterial == NULL || m_PingedMaterial == material UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

btw...this problem is not present if I delete the subsance material from the scene, and the problem also occurs if I open the complete example unity package from the tutorial download  :( (I am using Unity 5.4.1f1)

Anyone any idea what is wrong/I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Hi,

What platform are you trying to build to? I will check it out. I'm asking the devs to see what is causing this issue.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Trying to build for Windows 64 bit