Author Topic: Substance Designer has stopped working error  (Read 34573 times)

I thought that I was going crazy.  :) I literally spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out what was wrong.

1. I reinstalled (and even wound back) my NVIDIA drivers.
2. I mucked with firewall settings.
3. I installed and uninstalled every version from v5.30 to v5.33.
4. I wiped out traced from my registry, program data, etc and so on.

Not a single darn thing worked. I was beginning to think that it had something to do with a Windows 10 update. I came here... Solutions. :P

1. The time rollback trick works
2. Renaming the iray directory also works

FWIW, v5.25 installs and works just fine too. For those of you starting a new project, that might be a viable temporary solution too. The problem is almost certainly connected to iray since that wasn't introduced til v5.30.

For the techies who might need to know my current setup....

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930k hexacore @3.4GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2GB (361.43 drivers)
LICENSE TYPE: Indie

At least there are workarounds. Small blessings, right?

I have the same issue.
It didn't work anymore from one day to the other.
I also checked my install history of applications and windows updates. But nothing has been installed since Designer still worked. So it seems like it just stopped out of the blue.

Already reinstalled twice as well as got the latest display drivers.

I am running:
Windows 7 SP1 64bit
Geforce GTX 570
Substance Designer 5.3.3 Build 16905

Thanks for investigating it!

---

Oh, the iray folder renaming trick worked for me as well!
Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:13:41 pm

Now it's happening to me as well...  :o

Win10 x64
GeForce GTX 780
Substance Designer 5.3.3

Renaming the iray folder in 3d view didn't work for me. I think that might only work on PC. I'll try setting my date back.

On OSX, I've gotten this to work by renaming libneuray.so to something else (in my case, I renamed it to libneuray.so.orig). Assuming a typical installation of Substance Designer under the Applications folder, the file can be found at:

Code: [Select]
/Applications/Substance Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/libneuray.so
You can do this via the shell, or in Finder by going to the application's location, right-clicking on the application name, and choosing "Show file contents".

Work well for me ! thanks!
osx 10.11.1
gtx 285

So, after I renamed the Iray folder I thought that A. Designer would work as normal. It does not. My height map is not shown in 3d view. Does anybody have the same issue?

j.

UPDATE: I opened substance material in A. Player and Height map is shown with no problem.
Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:01:55 pm

False alarm. My height map is back.

Thx, guys. Renaming iray folder worked! I guees that must be some widnows update that broke SD... cos I haven't touched SD for a while.

The IRay license expired on 1.1.16. Renaming the .\bin64\iray folder does the trick

Me too.
SD "Indie" license.
This temporary fix worked great.  THANKS.

SUGGESTION:  Add a couple lines of code to produce a meaningful error message, rather than a "stopped working" crash, in case something like this ever happens again in the future.
Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:19:01 pm
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

On Mac this is the File you need to remove:
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

The IRay license expired on 1.1.16. Renaming the .\bin64\iray folder does the trick

works for me too, thank you :)

I just renamed the iray folder to some random letters it works.  Thank you

ps Happy to see so many people are still working during holidays
Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:44:25 pm

Hi,

I also renamed the iray folder and SD was able to start without problems. However, I have noticed that the Render option, the one that allows you to select iRay as the render engine, is no longer displayed. Is this happening to anyone else? On the other hand: if I leave the folder name as iray and change the date to 01-01-2016, the Render option is displayed correctly.

Regards,
Urenze

Hi,

I also renamed the iray folder and SD was able to start without problems. However, I have noticed that the Render option, the one that allows you to select iRay as the render engine, is no longer displayed. Is this happening to anyone else? On the other hand: if I leave the folder name as iray and change the date to 01-01-2016, the Render option is displayed correctly.

Regards,
Urenze

I didn't test, but *assumed* the "rename" fix would break Iray.
That would be the benefit to the date-change workaround.
I don't rely on Iray, so I plan to use the "rename" solution until a real fix is announced, hopefully in a couple of days.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

It's a bit more tedious but for those of us that rely on Iray, simply rewind date, open designer, when designer is open redefine accurate date, and keep working with Iray too... until you crash or close designer you should be good to go.

I also have the same issue with Substance Designer where it crashes immediately upon running. The logs show the following each time I attempted to run Designer indicating a license related to IRay expired. I will move my clock back a few days for now and see if that works.

[INFO][IRay] Starting IRay...
[WARNING][IRay]    Provided license expired

The log.txt file for Substance Designer can be found here in Windows.
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\

The last time I was able to run Substance Designer was on Dec 30th and when IRay was initializing it did not have any issues.

[INFO][IRay] Starting IRay...
[INFO][IRay]    Done.
[INFO][IRay/HardwareMgr] Hardware detected:
[INFO][IRay/HardwareMgr]    Name: CPU

Happy New Year