Author Topic: VRay Setup in Max  (Read 23739 times)

PLEEAAAAASE! We need a COMPLETE video tutorial in how to export from substance painter to vray, including the 3ds max setup.

I see many tutorials about how to use SP around, but  few in how to export and how to setup (none about this) your 3d software/vray using those textures.

From the SP part, is it simply to use the vray preset and press "export"? Or should I pass thru that SCARING (lol) configuration screen? How to use the resultant textures in vray? Where goes which one?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry Damon, can't share the file.
I had a little time and did some tests. It seems like my issue may have been updating the maps in Substance Painter with the 3dsmax file open at the same time that caused it.(I did get a png loader error while using pngs) Tried a couple of different tests and I think I may have it fixed. I will post renders tonight if I get consistent results.

Thanks for sharing this Todd very interesting also helpful in adapting for other workflows, cheers.
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

Thanks Mark! My approach was pretty straight forward as I am a painter noob. I am sure things will improve with time. Attached is a render, I am calling this done for now.

Todd

okay okay...
so i went ahead and made a tutorial video.. sorry no audio.. so play your own music or whatever in the background.. hope it helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9q_FLxnbA&feature=youtu.be

I appreciate the work you did on this. I've replicated and it works pretty well. I did notice that in the files I downloaded that the Hi-rez version has the "Metal_Mix Bitmap" map inverted also, like the Roughness. Is that your intent or a mistake? You don't mention inverting the Metal_Mix in the directions at the top.

This was a good place to start and a lot of good experimentation though. Thanks for it.

[Edit] After more experiments, this is much, much better than a place to start. This really works well and has solved problems I've had for months trying to find figure out a suitable workflow. Very nice work and thanks for all of the posts and video.
Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:38:39 am
3ds Max Design (Max 2018/Max 2019), ASUS Z10PE-D8WS Motherboard, Xeon E5-2650-V3 Dual Processor, Dual Hydro H80i CPU Chiller, 64GB DDR4 Ram, Quadro K5200 Display Adapter.

Hey RobH2,

Glad you got it to work.. You were right about the metal mix map, it does need inverting.. i included this in the video, but not the initial post (i have fixed this now).
I was going to ask what you were having trouble with, but it seems you have sorted it out.
If you find any improvements, please share.

I did have trouble but it was silly user error. I sorted it out. You did a nice job with this. I've been struggling for year to come up with a viable solution and had some very convoluted ones. Yours is so much better.

I'll certainly pass on anything that I do that might be an improvement. This is really exciting. I can finally use SD and VRay and take advantage of all of the nice materials available to me now.
3ds Max Design (Max 2018/Max 2019), ASUS Z10PE-D8WS Motherboard, Xeon E5-2650-V3 Dual Processor, Dual Hydro H80i CPU Chiller, 64GB DDR4 Ram, Quadro K5200 Display Adapter.