Author Topic: Additional Maps when exploding for bake  (Read 2550 times)

Hello, so, with the complexity of my model, The final assembled state is made up of a dozen objects each with there own material texture set.

Just for the sake of scene management and bulk working, I found it faster to setup an exploded mesh state for baking instead of detaching elements and renaming.

I also, only included 1 of each element for the bake that would normally have shared uv space.  So the assembled state has quite a bit of shared uv space.

My normal and AO and curve maps are beautiful.  But what I am now unsure of is.

The worldspace normal, and position maps
if I bake these from the exploded state, but have painted in the assembled state, keeping the additional shared space in mind as the assembled state.
Such as the tire tread, going across all wheels, for example, or the same metal cylinder as a railing being used over and over.
So how does the positional and worldspace factor in to this type of workflow for at the end when using those maps for stuff like a dirt generator, that uses the positional map?

Also, would  there be a clean way to re bake the AO when using shared uv space for the assembled state?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, so, with the complexity of my model, The final assembled state is made up of a dozen objects each with there own material texture set.

Just for the sake of scene management and bulk working, I found it faster to setup an exploded mesh state for baking instead of detaching elements and renaming.

I also, only included 1 of each element for the bake that would normally have shared uv space.  So the assembled state has quite a bit of shared uv space.

My normal and AO and curve maps are beautiful.  But what I am now unsure of is.

The worldspace normal, and position maps
if I bake these from the exploded state, but have painted in the assembled state, keeping the additional shared space in mind as the assembled state.
Such as the tire tread, going across all wheels, for example, or the same metal cylinder as a railing being used over and over.
So how does the positional and worldspace factor in to this type of workflow for at the end when using those maps for stuff like a dirt generator, that uses the positional map?

Also, would  there be a clean way to re bake the AO when using shared uv space for the assembled state?

Thanks in advance.

HI James,

What you can do is bake some maps with the entire mesh and not the exploded version. With the exploded version maps like the AO and position would be separated. In this case, you would want the AO to account for the entire mesh. In this case, I would just not use the high res mesh for the bake. You can remove the high res mesh and just bake from the low poly that was added to the project. I would do this for the position and AO map.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the quick reply,
I had tried this with the AO, and it looked off because of the shared uv space.
Like how I would use 1 chair and after baking it, then clone the object in max and place them where they need to be.

It appeared like the overlapping of one to the next was the issue since the same uvs were all over the place in the assembled state.

so I assumed this would also cause a conflict with the position map.

Thanks for the quick reply,
I had tried this with the AO, and it looked off because of the shared uv space.
Like how I would use 1 chair and after baking it, then clone the object in max and place them where they need to be.

It appeared like the overlapping of one to the next was the issue since the same uvs were all over the place in the assembled state.

so I assumed this would also cause a conflict with the position map.

Can you post some screen shots of the setup?

CHeers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja