Author Topic: FBX and Smoothing Groups  (Read 14497 times)

Hello,
I searched the forum but couldn't find any answer.

I've been trying to export a car mesh to Substence Painter from 3dsMax 2015. The problem is: the FBX export seems to delete my smoothing groups, so my faces are not smoothed together.
All the Faces are in the same smoothing group (1).
In the FBX export opton I checked "Smoothing Groups", "Tangeants and Binormals" and "Preserve Edge Orientation".

Here's a screenshot (Max vs Substence):
Applying any texture works well on the UV but doesn't on the mesh:

I tried to import the FBX in Maya, and Maya see all the edges as hard edges too (so no smoothing groups), so I don't know if the problem comes from Substence or from the FBX export.

I read somewhere that Substence Painter had a smooth option (Viewer Settings > Material > Shader) but I can't find it (I only have pbr-metal-rough, toon, pixelated and two opacity related shaders).

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot.
Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:27:19 pm

Ok, after some more tests: The exact same method worked for another project, a character (no smoothing group problems), so the problem comes from the mesh.

Workaround: I exported the car as OBJ (with Normals and Smoothing Groups checked!), imported it back in 3dsMax and exported it as FBX: No more problem in Painter!

I'll leave this here in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks  for the OBJ export  re-import trick worked for me as well

Paul G

Anyone has solution for this problem, not workaround?
Reexporting, importing 20 files (I want to keep subobjects and take and advantage of name-matching between low and high poly meshes) isn't very efficient.

Why fbx format is loosing smoothing informations?

Anyone has solution for this problem, not workaround?
Reexporting, importing 20 files (I want to keep subobjects and take and advantage of name-matching between low and high poly meshes) isn't very efficient.

Why fbx format is loosing smoothing informations?

HI,

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue. The FBX export is retaining the smoothing groups. I used the FBX format 2014/2015 and had smoothing groups enabled in the FBX options. I've attached a max file.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I'm also getting this same problem. If i collapse the stack in Max and export it does fix it but i would like to keep my modifiers like turbo smooth. Has anyone figured this out

I'm also getting this same problem. If i collapse the stack in Max and export it does fix it but i would like to keep my modifiers like turbo smooth. Has anyone figured this out

Hi,

I'm sorry I can't seem to reproduce this issue. I was able to export the mesh using FBX with the modifier stack non-collapsed. I used a turbo smooth. In the FBX export, I uncheck turbosmooth which will freeze the mesh and then check Smoothing Groups.

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

@kelly4d3d you can just collapse the stack and export, without save the max file. Or you can duplicate a max file with all stacks collapsed.

I also get the same issue with certain models, especially if I use the 3ds Max double turbosmooth technique. To get the object_high in as an .fbx I will turn off isoline display on the top turbosmooth, then add a edit poly modifier on top, then select all verts and connect (to triangulate) and export that with turbosmooth and tangents bionormals turned off in the fbx settings (2014/2015). This will usually work for me.  Hope that helps some people.
Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:51:33 am

I've been able to reproduce this in a Maya -> FBX -> SP workflow. I've used a variety of export options but nothing seems to work. Substance seems to arbitrarily not recognize smoothing groups on some assets. I will try the obj export/import workaround and report back if it works but it's definitely not efficient.

Update: Importing the mesh into 3DSMax and re-exporting as an FBX assigns proper smoothing groups. My hunch is that the mesh in Maya remembers how it was created (i duplicated the faces off of an imported smoothed obj), and therefore silently passed on the information to the FBX exported from Maya. No sign of this during the modeling process though so for all intents and purposes its a hidden software glitch. The odd thing is the FBX previews look the same in Windows 3D viewer, so both the Max and Maya FBXs have smoothing data that can be read correctly, its just something about the way Substance reads the FBX data from Maya.

Maya view

Maya FBX in SP

3DSMax view

Max FBX in SP
Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:30:17 am