Author Topic: Seams with TriPlanar Node and Differences Between Painter and Designer  (Read 829 times)

I've tried using Designer to bake my normal map, but it always comes out messed up for one reason or another. However, when I bake in Painter with the same settings and meshes, it turns out fine. So, I've been using Painter to bake and Designer for texturing. I'm having problems with these beams, though. When I apply the normal map onto the mesh, it looks different than it does in Painter. There is noticeable stretching and, in some areas, little to no normal detail compared to Painter.

Also, I am running my color map through the tri-planar node to get rid of the seams, but the seams are still there. I don't know if I'm not using it correctly, but I couldn't find anything online that works with my specific setup.

I also never could get this node to work in SD...Worst thing is, Wes makes it look so easy in his tut video. Any more info on this would be very handy.

Try projecting some text onto your mesh with the TriPlanar node if you want to see what its really doing, everything will be upside down inside out and backwards...

The TriPlaner node only really seams to be useful for spattering random nose like dirt/poop across seams any thing with a pattern that can be recognized will look really fucked up.

You can reference the TriPlaner node and see how it works, based on its pixel processor logic I was abele to create something that works a bit cleaner but never finished it. So you could always try to make it better for your needs.

Instead I decided it would be easer to use masks and layout my UVs in such away that the seams where not as visible.

Sorry man its just not as simple as Wes made it look, works grate with random spatter though.

^^

Thanks for sharing that Maus! Yeah, noise seems to be about the only thing this tri-planar node can be used for, unfortunately...

Make sure you bake your position map in SD using the "BSphere" normalization option, it can make all the difference.

I'm using the tri-planar node in my current project, and I've noticed that when two edges are on the opposite ends of a UV a seam becomes more noticeable. But so far I'll only notice a seam when I really get up close.

Also, the Checker 1 pattern is great when tuning the tri-planar node settings. 
Staggart Creations
[ WebsiteTwitterUnity Connect ]

I've noticed that in a lot of cases where tri-planar didn't work, it was because of the curvature and/or AO map throwing light on the detail across a certain noise/effect. Sometimes disabling or modifying one of these maps fixes things...

Tri-planar isn't fool-proof, some details and blending have to be done by hand.
Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:29:03 am
3D art is magic.