Author Topic: Assigning imported curvature maps  (Read 3428 times)

Hi,

I've baked a curvature map in Substance Designer and imported it into Painter, but I can't see where I assign this map as the curvature map for my mesh. Sorry I know this must be a really basic request but I just can't seem to assign it.

the curvature map is being used to drive certain filters and effects, it's not like an AO that being overlay on top of everything - although some people do it to make details pop a bit more.

if you use the generators; edge damage for example, you'll see painter is using both curvature and ao to drive the effect.

The AO, Curvature, Position and the other maps made by our bakers go into the additional maps slot available in the texture set properties.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

The AO, Curvature, Position and the other maps made by our bakers go into the additional maps slot available in the texture set properties.

Hi Froyok,

Thanks for the reply.

I've baked a curvature map from Designer and imported it into Painter - it's currently sitting in the 'alphas' tab of the shelf. My issue is that I can't assign it to the curvature slot in the texture set properties: I can't drag it into the field for example. As I say I'm sure it's something obvious, I just can't see it!

If you imported your texture via the file menu, it means the resource has been put in all the tabs of the shelf. To avoid that it is recommend to import your resources by drag and dropping them in the a tab directly.

You issue here is that you are trying to put a resource in a location that doesn't support them. Alpha are assumed to be used with the brush tool. So go to the texture tab instead and try again to drag and drop your baked maps in the additional map slots.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

So go to the texture tab instead and try again to drag and drop your baked maps in the additional map slots.

Aah, I knew it was going to be something embarrassingly simple! Thanks, that fixed it.

How do you assign a UDIM imported curvature maps?
I can assign one but how about assigning more?

I can assign one but how about assigning more?

This is an essential missing feature.
Its right up there with the features I look out for in updates.
This alone will make Painter far more usable and consistent within larger pipelines.

Keeping the fingers crossed for the next update