Author Topic: Taking a low poly mesh, and create a normal map to 'round' the edges - possible?  (Read 7548 times)

Hey guys,

I hope this will clear up my intention a bit more:
Say, I have this low poly model, but no high poly to bake from:

is there any way to make a normal map in SD to smooth the edges so they are not so sharp looking?

because I don't have a high poly to work from, and I don't really want to create one either :D  I want to 'fake' it using a normal map created in SD and then also create a brick texture in SD for normal and diffuse
Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:24:37 am

Hey guys,

I hope this will clear up my intention a bit more:
Say, I have this low poly model, but no high poly to bake from:

is there any way to make a normal map in SD to smooth the edges so they are not so sharp looking?

because I don't have a high poly to work from, and I don't really want to create one either :D  I want to 'fake' it using a normal map created in SD and then also create a brick texture in SD for normal and diffuse

Hi,

I'm not sure there is a way to fake this as the low poly contains hard edges. Even if you make a normal map with beveled edges, it wouldn't render correctly because of the low poly hard edges. I would take the poly and just bevel the edges and add a smoothing group for the edges. You can then bake the curvature map from the low poly using the per vertex algorithm.

Cheers,

Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes, I'll give it a shot!

Thanks Wes, I'll give it a shot!

No problem : )

This video might be helpful as well.

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

You can have a look at Tor Fricks rounded edge shader workflow using modo.

I've been slowing integrating this into my workflow. Basically removes the need of creating a high poly mesh.

I did a small post about it on my blog http://morepolys.blogspot.ca/2015/09/rounded-edge-shader-workflow.html

I'm a Modo user myself, so I'm aware of this option, but then you are limited to baking in Modo.

I know how to bake tangent space normal, world space normal, ID maps and AO - how do you get the other crucial maps (curvature, position, thickness, height) baked for use in Designer / Painter?  Would love to hear :]
Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:49:56 pm

I havent used painter much but Im assuming you can just pop in your low poly into the "high poly" mesh and extract those maps.  I think you can also get a curvature off the "rounded edge" normal map if you're not happy with the low poly curv bake.

I've been experimenting using the rounded edge bake, and basically combining it on top of my existing normals (these are drawn from the bevel node or NDO), seems to work quite well so far.