Author Topic: Fresnel node  (Read 2860 times)

Hi guys,

I wonder if there is any node which could be used as a fresnel. I'm not talking about the IOR shading specification, but really a node which can be used as fresnel.
As different examples, falloff in 3Ds, sampler info in maya, fresnel in UE4.

Any was to use/do that ?

Cheers

Hi guys,

I wonder if there is any node which could be used as a fresnel. I'm not talking about the IOR shading specification, but really a node which can be used as fresnel.
As different examples, falloff in 3Ds, sampler info in maya, fresnel in UE4.

Any was to use/do that ?

Cheers

Hi Yannick,

We don't have a Fresnel node that can be used as a falloff. I think it might be possible to create something like a "Fresnel" effect for falloffs using the pixel processor. But I don't think we have a method for calculating the falloff based on the dot product of the surface normal and the direction to the camera.

Unfortunately, there is not an easy solution.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank your for your answer Wes :)

I gess I'll ask it in the feature request for christmas :p

Hey,  don't forget that substance designer generates textures,  and that fresnel effect is view dependant.

This means that except if your object and camera are supposed to be static, you cannot handle fresnel effect with a texture (and thus a node).

This is an effect handled by shaders.

If you want a static  fake,  you may want to try with the light node  combined with a gradient  node but it should work with one point of view only

Hey,  don't forget that substance designer generates textures,  and that fresnel effect is view dependant.

This means that except if your object and camera are supposed to be static, you cannot handle fresnel effect with a texture (and thus a node).

This is an effect handled by shaders.

Sure, you're right, but the texture and shading are so linked that in particulary tricky case, I gess it's interresting to figure how things would combine themselves. In stylised special effects I often use fresnel nodes to add texture effects, and I was wondering if I could make something similar when I test particular patterns.

But anyway, you're right, it's a shading stuff, I will test that in my shading software :)