Author Topic: Bitmap Fonts  (Read 5725 times)

i have a font bitmap and definition text file that generated by BmFont. i want to add emboss and gradient effect to characters. i can apply emboss to whole bitmap. if i apply gradient to whole bitmap it will not generate the same result for all characters because all characters are at different position to use all space of the bitmap. is there any substance that can read font definition text file and apply effects separately to each character?
Ufuk Coban
Unity 3D, Modo, Imac, MBP

The gradient and emboss node results only depend on the input pixel values, not on their positions (emboss uses a parallel light source), so you should get the same results for all fonts. Would it be possible to post your graph so we can check where your problem is ?

i attached my image
Ufuk Coban

It is currently not possible to read font files in Substance Designer, it is in our wishlist but I can't give any date of when it'll be implemented. But as it has been said, the emboss effect should look strictly the same on each character.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

i could not find wish list. i add it to feature request.

by the way can i add shadow effect to font bitmap directly except (duplicate, displace, blur, blend)?

also how can i make photoshop style emboss to this bitmap image?
Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:11:51 pm
Ufuk Coban

I meant our internal wish-list ;)

We'll provide a shadow filter which works with transparency in the next release, until then you can create your own using tranfo 2d, blur + blend nodes.

Can you specify which options from the Photoshop emboss you would like to see in SD ?

i need this effect. it is bevel/emboss on photoshop layer effects. i will use gradient, emboss, shadow effects to generate final bitmap atlas procedural with SD. it will be great combination. i will prepare all my bitmap fonts as white solid characters with transparent background and give style them on unity with SD.
Ufuk Coban

is it possible to make bevel on sd now?
Ufuk Coban

Here is a filter example.

thanks for sample.it works as greyscale. bitmap fonts must be transparent. and afaik sd uses alpha channel when bitmap type is color. i try to convert your sample to color nodes. i hope i can manage it :-)
Ufuk Coban

The grayscale image input should be replaced by a colour image input and consequently, the Grayscale Blur HQ node should be replaced by the colour equivalent.

thanks for your help. i think i did it. i will learn and use sd better :-)

i want to use NGUI to use bitmap font. it does not allow to drag drop substance output. bitmap texture input is not useable. 2dtk font maker accept substance output but not work well. first i create font with original static bitmap font file, and i change font material texture to substance output. i know i can export bitmap files as static files and can use them. it is better to find a way to use substance outputs directly to use them with gui tools to add them to atlas.
Ufuk Coban