Author Topic: Can B2M export a substance?  (Read 4239 times)

By far the most asked about B2M question is about exporting a substance. I have standalone B2M 3.1.1 on a Mac, loaded a bipmap, B2M created a great looking tiled material and now I'd like to export as a substance. How do I do that? Why the smoke and mirrors on this Allegorithmic? Just detail a workflow or call the program Bitmap2Maps.

I have Designer. I can go that route but I know B2M is creating an .sbsar file. Somewhere. Why isn't there an export .sbsar menu option?
Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:45:45 am

By far the most asked about B2M question is about exporting a substance. I have standalone B2M 3.1.1 on a Mac, loaded a bipmap, B2M created a great looking tiled material and now I'd like to export as a substance. How do I do that? Why the smoke and mirrors on this Allegorithmic? Just detail a workflow or call the program Bitmap2Maps.

I have Designer. I can go that route but I know B2M is creating an .sbsar file. Somewhere. Why isn't there an export .sbsar menu option?

HI,

I'm sorry for the confusion on the exports. B2M can be used in 2 ways...

1. Export textures
You can use the "standalone" version which is B2M embedded in Substance Player to create a material then export textures for use in engine or DCC applications.

2. As a Substance
You can import B2M into an engine (UE4 or Unity) or DCC app (Maya, MODO). B2M is actually a substance material itself. Its a .sbsar file. It can be used in any application that supports the substance material files (.sbsar).

It sounds like you are wanting to use B2M as a substance (option 2). From the standalone version of B2M, you can't export a substance material.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

OK so it's a plug-in or mapmaker. I'm sure you guys put a lot of thought into it but why not let it export substances (or more accurately, save itself as a substance)? I thought you wanted us locked into a .sbsar world, sharing substances, etc. Sure I can tweak them in Designer all day long but half the time B2M gets the job done.

*modified the title to be more clear for others trying to sort this out / be less ranty :)

You're right about sbsar export from B2M3 application that's something that can be interesting.
As you have the possibility to get the exact same result directly into an integration (as mentioned by Wes, by importing the filter), it's not something we focused on (especially before Substance Share exists); but that would definitely be a good feature.
It's something we already talked about internally but we have no ETA for now.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com