Author Topic: SD PBS Setup for Unity?  (Read 3203 times)

Hi,

I was wondering what is the proper way to setup a PBS-based substance for Unity5 in Substance Designer? I'm using some of the textures from gametextures.com and want to create .sbar files from the textures, concrete, walls, etc. so a specular-based substance should be it.

For now I created a substance with six outs:

Albedo (baseColor)
Ambient Occlusion
Glossiness
Height
Normal
Specular

Is this setup correct? Not all of the textures come with height or AO map so I just leave them empty. Also, for Unity I will have to use the nY+ normal maps, right? I'm asking because my textures end up looking dull and blurry (see screenshot).

If you are using Unity5 (Spec shader) then you want a Diffuse output instead of baseColor.  basecolor is for Metallic/Roughness workflow.

Is your normal input also from GameTextures?  if so are you feeding it directly from the map node to the output or doing some kind of filtering that might be causing the blur?  else it could be your format settings on the map input.

Unity 5 Standard shader takes

albedo
metallic
normal
height
AO
emission

You can go with SD base templates : Physically Based (Metallic/Roughness) if you want to use the "Standard" shader or Physically Based (Specular/Glossiness) if you want to use the "Standard (Specular setup)".
As artzfx said, basecolor is for metallic/roughness, diffuse for specular/glossiness.

The Unity 5 substance integration will remap the outputs in the needed channels. If you use the metallic/roughness for example, the integration will create a "Smoothness" (from your roughness) and place it in the metallic alpha channel.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Unity 5 Standard shader takes

albedo
metallic
normal
height
AO
emission

Adding to what Gaetan said about the remapping that the Substance integration in Unity does under the hood, your list would look like this:

Unity 5 Standard Shader
albedo = baseColor from Substance
metallic/smoothness = metallic+roughness from Substance
normal
height
AO

Unity 5 Standard(Spec) Shader
albedo = diffuse from Substance
specular/smoothness = specular+glossiness from Substance
normal
height
AO