Author Topic: Approaching this photo of Mars (align shapes along spline)  (Read 2235 times)

I was trying to reproduce this photograph inside SD:

Biggest challenge to me, is to reproduce that sequence of eroded lines.
I find myself struggling when I tried to align those lines. They seem to be aligned according to a curved spline (or an arc if we want to simplify).
How to reproduce this very specific alignment?

I tried to use Splatter Circular: I set it non-tiling, set center orientation to true, and tried to increase the radius a lot, in order to obtain a gentle curve, but the problem with the splatter circular is that it has no general offset for the x and y position. So I cannot re-frame the lines as they're are progressively pushed out at every increment of the radius.

Beside the Splatter Circular, I can think of two other ways:
1) Use three or four tile generators to produce a sequence of vertical lines, mask and blend them together, apply different transf nodes to each, offset them and slightly rotate them (brute force, not elegant, but effective maybe?)

2) Use an iterator inside an FX-Map (could be a long and tedious setup and I don't have much experience with Fx maps)

Do you have any suggestion for this specific case?

And more in general, what would be your approach to dispose shapes along a spline inside SD?

Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:02:41 pm

I've already asked about this feature (a curve array for patterns) and was told it currently isn't possible. But man, it would be the greatest thing ever, wouldn't it? ;)

It seems possible to program, though I'm nowhere near the skill level of Allegorithmic; a node-drawing system like SVG where you draw a line and bend it with tangent handles. Input shape on the nodes.

It will come someday, I see it in the crystal ball. :D

*When that day comes, my hard surface patterns are going to get INSANE.
Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:15:37 am
3D art is magic.

Hello,

I think that the "align along spline" tool is not currently doable via FX-MAPS.

My idea was to draw a thin red curve (1 pixel wide), apply a pixel processor in order to get the individual position of the red pixels and store those values in a 2 dimensional 'array', set to be used by an FX-map iterator that would assign the position of the iterated patterns according to the array of positions of the red pixels.

Problem is that you cant build arrays of values in Designer, right?
Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:38:46 pm

Could you make a bunch of straight lines and warp them with a curved gradient?

And then use the slope blur with a cone blended with clouds, to widen them at the bottom, but in an irregular way :).

Hello,

I think that the "align along spline" tool is not currently doable via FX-MAPS.

My idea was to draw a thin red curve (1 pixel wide), apply a pixel processor in order to get the individual position of the red pixels and store those values in a 2 dimensional 'array', set to be used by an FX-map iterator that would assign the position of the iterated patterns according to the array of positions of the red pixels.

Problem is that you cant build arrays of values in Designer, right?

You gave me a pretty good idea :-)
I think something is feasible but I'll have to test

oh would be super interesting to see how you'd approach it, Vincent!  ;D

Hey Ander

I have been working on something for my own project that might help you out.

Its not really ready yet but I will post it on the Substance Share once its less of a hot mess.

The premise is that you can calculate a list of instructions, store them as colored pixels and then draw a complex line with different segments (images).

Check out the images I have attached, I am working my little tail off on this so when its all good I will post it with some examples.

^^

Really interesting :)
I plan to store the info into color as well (even with the generation may differ).
Keep us posted !