Author Topic: Problem with diffuse color  (Read 6017 times)

Hello All,

I am having trouble with exporting diffuse map from Painter. What i notice is that the gold color missing from my diffuse map, instead shown in specular map. Probably i am doing something wrong with exporting maps for Modo, because in Unreal 4 everything looks nice. using Modo 901 preset for export settings.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov

Hey dianmozokov,

the rendering result is OK, I assume? You are just confused about the exported maps?
The Diffuse map is black when it displays metal, this is normal. The gold colour will be in the specular map, instead of the diffuse, which is normal, too.
Metal has no diffuse colour but reflects colour. This is why just the specular map is coloured.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi Fabian, thank you for your comment!
Attached new screen shot and marked with red lines missing colors in Modo. The rendering result is not what i expected to see. How to configuring my shader tree in such way that the gold color match what i painted in Painter? Also, i notice that the color map exported for unreal include gold color that is missing in Modo render.

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov
Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:51:41 pm

Hello again Fabian,

I found out one of your post here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=7164.msg34503#msg34503
Which explain my problem exactly with missing diffuse color. Actually, i suspect that this may be the case, but i cant figure out how to fix this in Modo 901?

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov

I think i found out how to render my specular reflection properly in Modo. What i do is just duplicate my specular map and choose for effect "Specular Color", and now my render looks correct. So i have amount and color specular effect enabled in order to achieved my goal, but is this correct way of composing my shader tree? I am asking this because i cant find anything for using the specular color effect in this section here: https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=115507208

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov
Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:54:12 am

Hey dianmozokov,

I think, if your way is working fine, you can stick to it. I don't know modo well and can't help you in-depth, sorry.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

I think i found out how to render my specular reflection properly in Modo. What i do is just duplicate my specular map and choose for effect "Specular Color", and now my render looks correct. So i have amount and color specular effect enabled in order to achieved my goal, but is this correct way of composing my shader tree? I am asking this because i cant find anything for using the specular color effect in this section here: https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=115507208

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov

Hi Dian,

Are you using the new Physically-based material in 901? I would recommend to export from Painter using the Spec/Gloss workflow and use the PB material in 901. The diffuse map shows black where the gold is because this is a metal and metal doesn't have a diffuse reflected color. The reflectance value ("gold") is placed in the specular map. You can set the specular map to specular amount. This will then override the default 4% amount (good for non-metals) with the values in the map.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

Yes i am using the new PBR material in Modo and Painter Modo 901 preset for export my textures.

Recheck all settings and everything looks right. New screenshot attached with my settings.
As you can see from second screenshot my gold specular color is missing. BaseColor_Specular map apply Specular Amount only.
In the last screenshot my gold is back, but i need to duplicate my specular map and set to Specular color.

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov

Hi Wes,

Yes i am using the new PBR material in Modo and Painter Modo 901 preset for export my textures.

Recheck all settings and everything looks right. New screenshot attached with my settings.
As you can see from second screenshot my gold specular color is missing. BaseColor_Specular map apply Specular Amount only.
In the last screenshot my gold is back, but i need to duplicate my specular map and set to Specular color.

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov

HI Dian,

You have it set correctly. Using Specular color from the duplicated specular amount is the correct workflow.

Cheers,

wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

HI Dian,

You have it set correctly. Using Specular color from the duplicated specular amount is the correct workflow.

Cheers,

wes

That is great! I knew that my gold will shine  ;D. Thanks again for direction and help, Wes!  BTW your Painter tutorial is just AWESOMENESS, there is no other tutorials like this. Actually it is wrong to say a "Painter tutorial" only, there so many goodies in this series at different levels and areas. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov
Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:18:17 am

HI Dian,

Cheers,

wes

That is great! I knew that my gold will shine  ;D. Thanks again for direction and help, Wes!  BTW your Painter tutorial is just AWESOMENESS, there is no other tutorials like this. Actually it is wrong to say a "Painter tutorial" only, there so many goodies in this series at different levels and areas. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

And let the GOLD shine through Sketchfab :)

Best Regards,
Dian Mozokov

HI Dian,

Thanks so much! So glad to hear you liked the videos. That really makes my day : )

The model is looking great : )

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com