Author Topic: Need a new laptop. Question regarding SD  (Read 2375 times)

Im looking to get a new laptop and I had the idea that it could be cool to get a touch screen laptop to use Substance Designer with. Does anybody have any experience using SD with a touchscreen? Does it work well or is it not worth the effort? I know with my current laptop using the track pad is the worst.
Thanks
Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:18:07 am

Im looking to get a new laptop and I had the idea that it could be cool to get a touch screen laptop to use Substance Designer with. Does anybody have any experience using SD with a touchscreen? Does it work well or is it not worth the effort? I know with my current laptop using the track pad is the worst.
Thanks

HI Scott,

I would say using a touch screen with SD is not the best. I use SD and SP on my surface pro 3 that has a touch screen, but I rarely use the touch screen as an input. I also don't like trackpads either :) I use the mouse as main input and also the surface pen. With your touch screen, you may be able to use a pen as input, but my take would be that using a mouse is the best.

Cheers,

wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I agree, get your self a descent Blue Tooth or Wireless Mouse to use with your new laptop. You'll be happy you have the options to work in whatever way feels best to you.

Though I would warn you not to getting a Razer Blade Pro my brand new one has been nothing but problems and serous hardware failures. Its been sent back for replacement parts twice now and has coasted me well over a month of lost productivity...

^^

Thanks for the replys.

I should have mentioned. My laptop isn't my main work station. What I was hoping for was something I could use almost like a tablet and just doodle in SD with while i'm watching TV or something on the couch. I guess a touch screen wouldn't be any better than trackpad but maybe it could work with a stylus.

Then behold the god of tablet computers:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/cintiq-companion-2

I wish that I had gotten the Cintiq Companion 2 instead of the Razer Blade Pro, but the Razer dus have a monster GPU so its wicked fast at things you need a graphics card for...

^^

Hey maus,

I don't think the Companion from Wacom is even a 'great' computer at all.
It doesn't mean it is not a good computer, but I find so many disadvantages compared to nowadays tablet computers like screen resolution and distance from front glass to the actual display.
Weight and size, battery power...

I love the Wacom Intuos tablets but the Cintiqs can not be compared to any modern computer, it's like they are years old even the newest models.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

You might be right Fabian.

But tablet computers are there own strange beasts, the smaller size limits the amount of hardware that can be creamed into them. So there never quite as powerful as a laptop of smaller cost.

The Cintiq Companion 2 has a quad HD screen so its higher res then my 17in Razer Blade Pro. Its like 3.5 pounds to the Razers 7.5 pounds. They have about the same battery life, hell if I try to play a game like the Witcher 3 the battery realy only lasts about an hour.

The major advantage the Cintiq Companion 2 has is that its got a Wacom Intuos tablet sensor built in, witch is hands down the best stylist input an artist can get.

It is comparable to the Microsoft Surface, but the Surface lacks the Wacom Intuos resolution, tilt, rotation, and presser sensitivity.

I used to do a lot of zBrush work (but then I got into Substance Designer, lol) and as a security guard that means I have to drag my Intuos tablet along with my laptop and set up a tentacle cord monster that can take over any desk just to do some sculpts while at work. (My job is like 95% sit there and do what ever I want, while occasionally filing out a report or pressing a button to let people into the building.) Though my computer set up is wicked powerful its far from convenient and not as mobile as having all that hardware in 1 slim device.

In hinge sight I would gladly trade off some of the power for portability and comfort. That's why I really think the Companion 2 is an ideal tablet computer for an artist that wants to kick back on there couch and just relax and be creative.

^^
Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:30:18 am

Looks like my Razer Blade Pro is going back for repairs again...

So I decided to spend the cash I had squirreled away for the MS HoloLens Dev Kit on a Cintiq Companion 2 instead.

So I should be able to tell you how well it works with Substance Designer in a week or so, though I am more excited to try it out with Substance Painter.

^^

Looks like my Razer Blade Pro is going back for repairs again...

So I decided to spend the cash I had squirreled away for the MS HoloLens Dev Kit on a Cintiq Companion 2 instead.

So I should be able to tell you how well it works with Substance Designer in a week or so, though I am more excited to try it out with Substance Painter.

^^

Sounds awesome! Would love to hear about it : )

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

My first impressions of the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 (i7 512 GB) with Substance Designer:

First off let me say its a really nice tablet computer, but it might not provide you with a superior SD experience.

Perks:
Absolutely stunning 13.3 inch display QHD (2560 x 1440) everything looks amazing! Lots of space to work with.

It has 10 fully programmable buttons! This is such a huge boon when compared to other tablet PCs like the MS Surface witch have nun! You will need them when working without a keyboard!

You can also program custom on screen menus/pie menus witch is very helpful.

The Pro Pen is incredibly responsive, and even more so after you tweak some windows settings! (Amazing in Substance Painter, Photoshop, and zBrush!)

Can be used as a Cintiq tablet display with your other computers! This is way cool cuz I have a Razer Blade Pro (when its working ><) that has a crazy fast GPU so I can team them up and really push some serious pixels when I can get them together!

Its pretty light weight about 3.5 ponds very comfortable to use.

The cooling fan is no where near as load as all the complainers think it is. I am pretty sure they have never used a gaming laptop lol.

Flaws:
The QHD screen makes the SD user interface teensy. This can make the Pen/Touch screen a bit hard to use.

It will take some time to get the buttons/pen/menus/gestures customized for SD. (I am still working on it.)

It doesn't come with a keyboard. This sucks cuz in SD you'll be pressing Spacebar and then typing the name of the node you want all the time. That sad this is the biggest flaw with using a tablet computer for SD! You can get a Bluetooth keyboard but now its become difficult to just kick it on your couch and play with SD.

SD doesn't have any support for touch gestures... this means no pinch zoom, no touch pan, and so on. You will have to program one of the buttons on the pen or tablet to simulate a middle mouse click just to navigate your graphs.

Apparently the factory screen finish is nice makes it feel like drawing on paper but it can be easily scratched with the pen, so you might want to order and apply a screen protector before using it.
http://www.photodon.com/p/3153-01.html

So far I think its a really great tablet computer, and I am sure the more time that I spend customizing it for use with SD the better the experience will get. But where the Companion really shines is programs like SP, and its pretty fun to use once you have customized it a little and are getting familiar with some of the more obscure hotkey mouse combos for your art programs.

You will probably also want a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard when using SD on a tablet computer, other then that its pretty awesome!

^^