Author Topic: Substance Painter Shelf slow  (Read 4916 times)

I have noticed the more items I put in my shelf the longer it takes for the shelf to fully load all the icons. My shelf takes at least 5 minutes to load all the icons. Is this normal?   Win 10, 4g video card, 24g RAM, 12 core Xeon at 3.4   Thanks Chuck

Yea. What I've started doing is keeping files for all my decals and stuff separate from the shelf liberary. Then I just load up whatever I think I'll need in a project. It works pretty well and it's not too much hassle.
3D art is magic.

Ok cool . Ill have to separate some stuff, thanks for the reply.

Don't know if it's related, but I had a big slow down to compute the (Substance Designer) library, that was due to my antivirus.
Maybe try to temporary disable your antivirus to see if it goes faster.

Hi Vincent thanks for the reply. Still the same for me with virus protection turned off. I separated some of my materials out and now its about 20 seconds. I wonder how guys who bought the data base do it? I wonder how long it  takes for 1000 materials to load up.

Hi Vincent thanks for the reply. Still the same for me with virus protection turned off. I separated some of my materials out and now its about 20 seconds. I wonder how guys who bought the data base do it? I wonder how long it  takes for 1000 materials to load up.
Generally it takes a bit of time the first time to generate, then, everything is fine :)

Bit of time? I let run Painter to render his thumbs nails and during 30 minuts, it created I think 8 of 30 materials what I have in Painter, so what is point have possibility of custom materials from SD and  then cant use them in Painter because Painter is not able create own thumb nail and during rendering one thumbnail ti took 5Gb of RAM because I dont know why, and Designer load that material during 5 seconds, and one thumbnail took 3-10 minutes to render thumbnail, and then somobody say you cant have too much own materials in shelf, I just killing time right now ( half of working day) because I make some changes to my own materials and Painter cant render thumbnail so I cant work.
I love Substance Designer and Painter, but this is another enoing think. So I must make rollback to 1.5.7 form 1.6 because 1.6 cant render thumbnails at all.

Edit: And also each new version of Substance Painter will rerender thumbnial, so every single new version I kill half of the day to waiting for thimbnails, I think guys in Allgorithimc should do something with this.
Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:43:22 pm

For that what want to try it, here si materials for Painter, it will render thumbnail like forever.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52623513/Bronze.sbsar

If you find where is problem I will be glad.

Thanks for the example. Note that the substance is taking around 7000ms to generate in the Substance Player, which is a good indication that your graph is not optimized. It took a bit of time to generate them in Substance Painter because of that (but I still got a thumbnail after 3/5 minutes).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

froyok thanks, I look at substance in Player and there wrote something around 2579ms, it is possible look at this number directly in Designer? It is mistery for me because I just replace some grunge maps for that new one from package and adjust some settings and publish. But maybe it is because I left check Output Size for publish SBSAR, when I uncheck it it is more faster.

You can display the timings of each node in Substance Designer.
Take a look at the toolbar of the graph, the option is there.

Also take a look at  : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SD5/Performance+Optimization+Guidelines
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.