Author Topic: Painting at 4k still impossible  (Read 4392 times)

I was looking forward to the 1.6 update for the 4k painting but it's still quite impossible for me, doesn't even work a 10th as good as what was shown in the video, and that's with one single layer.

What are the required PC specifications for that? Perhaps another issue?

What is your GPU and how much VRam do you have ?
Also, the more texture sets you have in a project, the less vram will be available to work at 4K resulting in back and forth between the Ram of your system and the VRam of your GPU, leading to a loss of performances.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I got a GT640 with 4k VRAM (1k dedicated, 3k shared).

Edit: "Shared" is, as I find out, irrelevant for Painter so the final answer is 1024MB of VRAM I suppose.
Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:10:11 am

Only the dedicated VRam matter in this case. I'm afraid your GPU is too low to handle 4K properly unfortunately. 2GB of VRam are the very minimum in order to do some operations in 4K in real-time. I recommend 3GB or better to be able to Paint smoothly at 4K. A GTX 770 or even better a GTX 980 would be more appropriate.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

That seems to be the case. Thanks a lot for your help I'll pester the IT department for a new GPU.

Hi,
I’m a bit confused with substance Painter requirements. I have quite powerful computer: i7 4770K, 16gb Ram and GTX980Ti. But it is still slow or lagy when I’m painting. When I’m painting from projection it takes 1-2 seconds to actually project paint on the surface of my model. I’m painting in 4K so I could see all the detail and SP uses 4,6 GB of VideoRam and 2.4GB of RAM and still not as fluid as I hoped. Am I missing something? Please advice!

Hi,
I’m a bit confused with substance Painter requirements. I have quite powerful computer: i7 4770K, 16gb Ram and GTX980Ti. But it is still slow or lagy when I’m painting. When I’m painting from projection it takes 1-2 seconds to actually project paint on the surface of my model. I’m painting in 4K so I could see all the detail and SP uses 4,6 GB of VideoRam and 2.4GB of RAM and still not as fluid as I hoped. Am I missing something? Please advice!
Did you check our Performances page in our documentation ?
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Performances
-----------

Thank you, i will test it today.

It working much better when i switch off all groups of layers I'm not currently working on. Just need to get use to this work flow. But SP still uses 4.5 GB of video ram, with those demands, Working on multi UVs and multi textures will be possible only on GTX TITAN X. Unless you will optimize SP thirst for GPU resource. I Hope you will make it work.

SP always uses the maximum amount of video memory he is allowed to to speed up different aspects of the tool. It doesn't mean that it needs this much to perform smoothly.
Anyway, all of this is being worked on and the goal is for you to NOT need a monster GPU to work on multiple UV tiles :)

Anyway, all of this is being worked on and the goal is for you to NOT need a monster GPU to work on multiple UV tiles :)

good to hear , I'm having similar issues with 4K maps so I'm looking forward to see what you guys are coming up with

SP always uses the maximum amount of video memory he is allowed to to speed up different aspects of the tool. It doesn't mean that it needs this much to perform smoothly.

Thank you Jeremie, it is a good news :) i do have a monster GPU (GTX980TI) that why i was surprised with view port performance. Looking forward to new optimization and new features.