Author Topic: Multiple different crashes  (Read 3391 times)

I got painter about a moth ago and Im really enjoying the features and I see a lot of potential on this software.
The main problem that I have is with all the crashes.
The first solution I found from Wes was to revert my driver back to version 347.88 and that helped a little bit.
But I found that even with that version I can't have any browser opened, specially if they are playing videos.
So I decided to do some work with the browser closed, everything went smooth until I tried to export my texture maps.

I really want to keep using painter and I see a lot of potential in it but its hard to get any work done like this.

I have a gtx970 and 12gb of memory. My cpu is a little outdated with only 2.67ghz (is that an issue?)

thanks for all the help.

Are you on Windows 10? I currently have issues with a GTX970 as well, we are looking into it.

I'm on win 7 but have 2 x GTX 970 and it crashes on me regularly. I have to save constantly.

Yes, Im using windows 10

Update Downgraded the video driver to 350.12 version and the crashes gone.
[Workaround]
    - [Drivers] nVidia drivers 352.x and 353.x are known to crash Substance Painter.
    Drivers 350.12 are recommend instead.

The same here Gtx 970 4Gb, Win 10, using latest video driver. Crashing constantly on TDR error when trying to preview textures on 4k. Added the TDR Registry Keys using high values, now 1024 I think but no improvement so far.
Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:45:09 am

Update 2

350.12 driver was stable on viewport but on the export side the saved maps on 4k become corrupted. After some digging on Nvidia forum I am using the lasted hot fix video driver (I think can work as well with the lasted video driver) and Tdr Manipulator to modify the values on reg files. Looks like it working without any crashes on viewport or export. I used the maximum values on Tdr Manipulator.

Thank. Its weird that you have to change the tdr. Is this something that allegorithmic needs to talk to nvidia?
On Jeremie 's post, he said they are looking into it. I guess I will wait until the dust is settled and this driver thing is figured out.

Hey there, sorry for the delay !

Old drivers are not recommend at all for Substance Painter. You will likely encounter an OpenGL error that nVidia fixed in drivers 355.98 (for both Quadro and GeForce). So it is recommend to use latest drivers.

If you are having issues related to the driver being reset, as Jeremie said it's under investigation. We are in contact with GPU constructors to see how we can eliminate those TDR.

As for the why : In order to prevent rendering from locking the system, the Operating System kills the driver whenever rendering takes more than a couple second. Since we can't possibly know how long the rendering will take (it depends on your card, your driver, your OS, the mesh size, the texture size, etc.), we can't put an a-priori limit on how big a mesh or a texture you can process, and you'll always be able to find a mesh or a texture size that is too big for your GPU.
On Windows, there is a key in the registry specifying how long the OS should wait before killing the driver call, but as far as we know we are not allowed to modify it when installing an application. However, individual users can change it how they see fit. You can find more details about it here :
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff569918%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Update 2

350.12 driver was stable on viewport but on the export side the saved maps on 4k become corrupted. After some digging on Nvidia forum I am using the lasted hot fix video driver (I think can work as well with the lasted video driver) and Tdr Manipulator to modify the values on reg files. Looks like it working without any crashes on viewport or export. I used the maximum values on Tdr Manipulator.

For those of you experiencing TDR crashes and slowdowns on GTX 970, the issue is unfortunately on the hardware side: As explained here, the last 500MB of the GTX 970 memory is barely usable. Since Substance Painter uses as much video memory as possible to reduce swapping and caching issues, when it hits these last 500MB, you will experience heavy slowdowns and possible crashes due to the memory being too slow.

There is no definitive workaround at this time, even though improvements made in 1.6 should reduce greatly the issues 970 users encountered before.

I made some tests with my Asus 970 gtx 4 GB card and after overclocked it to maximum values the used memory on painting over 2k textures dropped from 3.5 GB to 2.6-2.8 GB as well running more smoothly. I will have to make more tests but maybe this will help someone. Used modified Tdr values also.
Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:54:29 pm