Author Topic: Substance Designer Black Screen  (Read 1643 times)

I was working with SD5 a short while ago, doing hardly anything -- fresh new file, new mostly empty graph, just changing some settings on a Tile Generator node.  Suddenly, the entire screen goes black and stays black.  Since I can't see anything, I restart.  Guessing the video driver died somehow.

Setup: 
  • Double monitors, both 1920x1080 (SD was full screen, 3d view full screen in the 2nd)
  • Intel i7 4770k
  • 32 GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (4 GB)
  • most recent drivers installed
I can provide the full log.txt, but would prefer to PM it to a dev rather than attach to a public post.  The last few lines from today's session (Wed Feb 1 22:10:04 2017):

Output:

Substance Cooker 5.6.1 build 19634 (Jan 16 2017)
     Alias added: UserVersion => C:/Users/Kep/Documents/SubstanceDesigner

Flattening...

Front End...

ERR: Cannot find outputs to cook

Back End...

ERR: Cooking fail [Error 13]

[WARNING][ExternalScriptService] Script not found for action 'onBeforeFileSaved'
[WARNING][ExternalScriptService] Script not found for action 'onAfterFileSaved'

If that's indicating a problem with the cookers, it's not the first time I've had problems with them.  Every so often, I have to shut down SD entirely because it NEVER finishes cooking; rarely I have to hard reboot the computer because SD locks everything up while cooking.

Not sure it matters, but Substance Painter runs like a dream and I haven't had any issues with it in recent memory.  But for some reason Substance Designer gives me issues lately.

Let me know what other info you need.
Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:38:29 am

Hi EArkham,

The cooking error maybe comes from the settings of your outputs. Did you specify the usage for each of your outputs ?

You can also check if the option 'outputs computation'.
Double click on the background of your graph to display its attributes and set 'outputs computation' to 'yes'

Can you send me your log file by PM ? Because cooking error and black screen are probably two different problems.
Thanks !
QA Analyst

The cooking of the graphs in the 3d view always happens pretty fast.  I haven't changed any of those settings off whatever is set by default.

It's the thumbnail cooking that I mean when I say it will occasionally hang and crash SD.  I always worry when I have to navigate the categories because that's when it's most likely to lock SD up.

I've sent the log file via the email link (the PM interface said it was too large to send that way).  I also sent it via the Report Bug panel back when I made the post.