Author Topic: Objects baked on top of other objects?  (Read 601 times)

Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone can help me out with an issue I'm facing. I am in the preliminary stages of modeling a low poly version of a shoe for use in a game engine (hi poly is done). For now I've just used an automatic unwrap to test the bake, and I'm getting a nice bake for the base of the shoe that I'm happy with.

The problem is that I have a bunch of other objects to model for the shoe (such as buckles, straps, etc), and when I combine the objects into one mesh, I'm finding that things like the straps are affecting the bake of the object beneath it (which I don't want).

I'd like to have all of the objects sharing one UV space / texture map. I'm assuming there is a way around this that I haven't learned about yet? See attached screenshots. In the second image, you can see how the strap is baking onto the base of the shoe. I'm basically wondering if it's possible to tell substance painter to have the objects ignore each other during the bake process so everything stays on one texture map but each object bakes individually.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

In your bake settings there is an option to match by name, select that and make sure your high and low poly files have each part with the same name and the set endings - example:

shoebase_low
shoebase_high
buckle_low
buckle_high

Any object that would intersect or is too close needs to be separated for a clean bake.

Awesome thanks!

Awesome thanks!

Let me know how it goes and if you're still having trouble I'll trouble shoot with you.

Awesome thanks!

Let me know how it goes and if you're still having trouble I'll trouble shoot with you.

Thanks again. Running into a slight issue. Rather than have the straps and such as multiple objects, I've baked everything down onto the base mesh instead. The shoes are for a mobile game anyways, so I'd rather have them as low poly as possible. The issue I'm running into now is that after filling different regions with materials via my color id map, I'm still left with pixels that don't get filled. I'm wondering if there is a way I can pick those regions as one so I can fill them as well, rather than having to paint in all of these pixels by hand? See screenshot and thanks in advance.

Yes, you can create a mask and use polygon select.

I don't think this would work since the issue is the pixels. Is it possible to set up a colour mask based on a pixels colour? So could I use a colour picker to select the pixels that haven't been filled to select them all at once?

*Edit to add*:

I've gone ahead and just started hand painting the pixels that didn't fill, but I am curious what could have caused this? Is it possible it was because I had anti-aliasing enabled when I baked all my maps? I'd like to figure out why this happened. The color ID map I baked out doesn't seem to have any missing pixels, but for whatever reason when I went to go fill each of them with smart materials, there were pixels that didn't end up getting filled.
Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:05:26 pm

Sorry, I miss understood your question I guess. You're doing this differently then I would as I would just create a material that looks exactly like what you're manually doing and just fill it.

I've taken the high poly and baked it all down onto the low poly, and included a color ID map so that I can fill regions of the low poly model with the texture information I want. What I'm uncertain about is why I ended up with pixels left after filling them, and had to paint them in by hand. I want to avoid this in the future.

For instance, this is the high poly with the objects and regions I want to be masked set up as different materials for the color ID map:

This is the UV map:

This is the result before I went in and hand painted the effected pixels (or rather, the pixels that weren't filled via the color ID map):

and this is the result after:

You can see where the pixels weren't filled, no matter which color ID map was used. What I'm wondering is if perhaps this had something to do with the bake settings, since I had 4x4 AA turned on, or perhaps it's related to some other issue?

The bake turned out well, all things considered, except for this particular issue. For the sake of being thorough, the high poly is 79k tris and the low poly is 1200 or so, and the map size is 2048 x 2048
Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:23:55 am

I thought you were referring to actual polygons missing a material fill. My bad...

The problem is most likely caused because you're using AA. When you provide AA to a color ID map it adds in different tones and you're no longer working with a single color anymore on the edges. You'll need to remove that for your map and make sure you're dealing with one color per section.

You could also toy around with blur - sharp - levels to refine it more, but it's caused because of your AA most likely.

Try to disable your AA in your bake for your ID map. Should work...!
Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:49:06 am

That was my hunch. Will try this for future bakes. Thanks for your input.