Author Topic: 'Outer Glow' / Expand & Contract Masks  (Read 4858 times)

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a smart way to create a specific effect. I'd like to be able to paint in a block of color and apply an effect on the layer that adds an 'outer glow' style effect. I'm sure there are many ways to approach this problem and I'm open to suggestions.

Attached is a picture of a burnt truck. In the center of the burn it has a textured white color, which turns to blacks/browns at the edge, and then blends into browns/yellows as it fades back into the paint. Currently, I don't know a smart way to take a painted or procedurally generated layer and apply that 'outer glow' style of color radiating out from that source shape.

In fact, after some digging, I'm not really sure how to do something like expand or contract a mask - which could also be used to simulate this effect by layering the different colors and blending with expanding masks.

I'm wondering if this is something I need to set up as a custom effect/material inside of designer first?

Thank you for any help offered,

Bryce

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a smart way to create a specific effect. I'd like to be able to paint in a block of color and apply an effect on the layer that adds an 'outer glow' style effect. I'm sure there are many ways to approach this problem and I'm open to suggestions.

Attached is a picture of a burnt truck. In the center of the burn it has a textured white color, which turns to blacks/browns at the edge, and then blends into browns/yellows as it fades back into the paint. Currently, I don't know a smart way to take a painted or procedurally generated layer and apply that 'outer glow' style of color radiating out from that source shape.

In fact, after some digging, I'm not really sure how to do something like expand or contract a mask - which could also be used to simulate this effect by layering the different colors and blending with expanding masks.

I'm wondering if this is something I need to set up as a custom effect/material inside of designer first?

Thank you for any help offered,

Bryce

Hi Bryce,

You could set this up as a material or effect in Substance Designer. Depending on what you need, it might be easier and faster to paint the effect rather than try to create it procedurally. I would look the process like blending between different materials and then using a alpha with a layer mask to paint in the blend.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Wes,

Thank you for the response. In the specific example I used here it would probably be relatively easy to hand-paint what I desire. However, the goal is to find/create a procedural method of doing that 'outer glow' style of effect, or to find out how to expand/contract masks, so that I can accomplish the same effect across much more complex objects or in conjunction with mask generators.

So my questions:

1. Can I expand/contract masks in any way inside of Painter?

2. Can I create an outer-glow style effect for a layer? If so, is that something that needs to be done in designer?

Thanks again!

Wes,

Thank you for the response. In the specific example I used here it would probably be relatively easy to hand-paint what I desire. However, the goal is to find/create a procedural method of doing that 'outer glow' style of effect, or to find out how to expand/contract masks, so that I can accomplish the same effect across much more complex objects or in conjunction with mask generators.

So my questions:

2. Can I create an outer-glow style effect for a layer? If so, is that something that needs to be done in designer?

Thanks again!

Hey Bryce,

You can't expand or contract masks in Painter.

I would say you could do this be either creating a full material in Designer that contains this effect or by creating a mask generator that allows you to contract/expand the mask with edge blur. You can then apply this generator to a layer mask.

To do this procedurally, you would need to create it in Designer.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Wes,

So my questions:

Thanks again!

If I have a painted mask, I use blur to expand the mask and then I use levels to bring out the mask/bring it back. Not sure how to contract with this workflow though.