Author Topic: Substance creation tops out at 2k  (Read 1748 times)

I've been making new Substances in 4, and I might be looking at this wrong, but it seems they max out at 2048 x 2048. I was under the impression I could create 4k materials. Is that not the way you should be making Substances? Do I need that much data then at all?

This size limitation is defined by two thing : your rendering engine (CPU vs GPU) and the size limit defined in the preferences.

To change the engine : Tools -> Switch Engine
To change the limit : Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cooking size limit
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

ah....OK great info thank you

For information : the engine choice is here depending of the platform that you target.

If you just want to generate textures, choose the GPU (more meory = bigger texture), but if speed and computation is important for you (in case for example you want to import your substance in UDK/Unity) then the CPU computation is what you are looking for (faster to generate textures).

Also, UDK and unity use the CPU computation since the GPU is used for other rendering tasks specific to the engine, so you won't be able to go over 2K in those game engines (for the moment).
Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:52:59 pm
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Also good to know. Yeah from what I've been researching, 2k seems more manageable and fine for a nice model demo.

My current targets for demo is Toolbag, my game engine I'm working on is Cryengine for the moment, only because I'm familiar with it, not sure if that can take substance materials or not as I've newly discovered this.