Author Topic: Jagged Edges On Height Maps  (Read 4559 times)

New user here.

I have been using Painter and Designer for a couple days now.  I noticed that my height maps are awfully jagged even when I bump up the texture resolution to 2k.  I have tried 4k but the programs crash every time I try to do that.  Can anyone advise on how to get clean smooth height displacement?  I know there's the "blur" trick but that kinda looks like crap to be honest.  Looking for a better quality result.

Thanks for your help!

In Substance Painter the way we compute the normal map from the height map channel is to preserve the details, which can produce some aliasing sometime on very hard edges. Other than blurring/smoothing the alpha that you used for your mask there is not much more you can do until we find a better algorithm.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I hope this is something that can improve soon.

I did find the known issue about Painter and Designer crashing with the last two nVidia drivers.  Although I am tempted to revert back to 3.50.x as the post suggested, I think this might be a bad idea for other applications and devices on my Win10 workstation since many bugs have been addressed across the board.  I think it's best to wait for you guys to deliver an update for Substance that is compatible.  Hopefully that will be soon as well. 

It should work fine now with the latest drivers.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

It should work fine now with the latest drivers.

Not with this version:

Substance Painter, version 1.5.7
Build 866 - ad71831c2ac99570eb04854915ea71065184dddb

Both Painter and Designer crash routinely on the nVidia version 355.98 GTX 780 driver.

Did you sent crash reports when it happened ? For both Designer and Painter ?
-----------