Author Topic: Different file-types in materials.  (Read 3386 times)

Hi All,

I've noticed that some of the materials available under the "Material" tab contain different file-types...
Some of these I don't even know how to open...  ::)
I.e. when you download the Simple Diamond Plate material, you'll find a zip archive containing a file named "Simple Diamond Plate_RM.sppr", however, although I have Substance Designer, Painter, Player and Bitmap2Material this file extension doesn't seem to be connected to any of them...?!

I've searched my HD and found that files with the extension .sppr seem to belong to "Brushes", hence I would assume that the zip archive should be located in the "Brushes" section on Substance Share and not under "Materials"...

I would assume that the files belonging under "Materials" would be "sbsar" and "sbs" files...
Can somebody clarify, as a noob like me can get quite confused with these discrepancies... :)

Cheers
Kim Frederik
Thea Render - A Team
"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X

Hey Kim,

I understand your confusion and it is a bit unlucky, indeed. Maybe there should be a filter for Substance Designer/Painter files.
The .sppr is the Substance Painter Preset format. You can load that into your shelf and use it as a material in Substance Painter.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Thanks for coming back to me, Fabian...
Yes - it seems like there should be some better guidelines what the "Materials" sections is supposed to contain...
Like "Smart Materials", which is also supposed to be copied to the Shelf in Substance Painter, have its own section, perhaps these sppr files should also have their own...?
Or at least a sub-section...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Thea Render - A Team
-Malcolm X

Indeed, we are thinking about ways to make it easier to differentiate between Painter preset materials and sbsar materials.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Can I suggest that you also think about an easier way to implement these different brushed, smart materials, presets etc...
It could be a "Load" function from within the applications, which will copy these into the correct shelves automatically...?

The way users need to do it now by manually copying these different files into various folders and sub-folders seem a bit "old fashioned" and unintuitive...

Just a suggestion... :)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Thea Render - A Team
-Malcolm X

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Can I suggest that you also think about an easier way to implement these different brushed, smart materials, presets etc...
It could be a "Load" function from within the applications, which will copy these into the correct shelves automatically...?

The way users need to do it now by manually copying these different files into various folders and sub-folders seem a bit "old fashioned" and unintuitive...

Just a suggestion... :)

We totally agree with it, and we are working on some improvements :)
Director of Product Management & COO