Author Topic: Texture Help  (Read 6237 times)

hello, this question is a basic question but none the less, i need the help.

I am looking for someone to help me to better to understand the different texture maps, and where to place them inside of 3d max.  in simpler terms, i know the texture map labeled Base_color should be placed on the diffuse node in the slate editor. but other than that, i am lost on where to place the rest of the texture maps that substance painter gives me into the correct nodes back into 3d max.  where should i placed the height map, where does the metallic go, and i believe normals is the same as a bumb map? But i need a normal bumb node in between? 

Basically, i am looking for a resource that will teach me the texture map names, and where they go, and that also they use different names across different situations.  like substance painter says base_color while 3d max calls it a diffuse map, and so on.  Any help from the community to help me better understand the different names for the same maps would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,
3DS max is not based on a physically model, therefore you cannot directly apply maps like metetal roughness.

You can try to work with a standard graph model (and a blinn material)

Unless you are using Mental Ray or VRay your results in Max will look incredibly different to Substance Products..

The map names used in Substance are in line with the PBR method, which is documented in the PBR guide posted here.
https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide

That being said.. once you have an understanding of what these texture maps represent. its easy to translate them to Max or Mayas shader network.
Also there are a few systems or workflows of deriving these textures.. which can affect where the textures should be placed in the shader network.
For the sake of simplicity, i will just talk about Metal/Roughness workflow

Base_Color or Albedo is basically Diffuse.

Height and normal are kind of the same thing..
Normal maps tend to produce nicer fine bump details.. details that wont change the shape of the model dramatically..
Height maps, i tend to find, are better used as displacement maps if needed.
In Max there is a node called 'Normal Bump' which plugs into the Bump Map slot. Turn the materials bump value up to 100 (instead of default 30).. and then plug in your normal map (and height map optionally into the additional bump slot) inside the 'Normal Bump' node they should be both set to 1.0 by default.

Roughness is how rough the surface of something is, white is most rough.. black, not rough at all.
Glossiness, however, is how shiney a surface is.. basically the opposite of rounghness ..
so the Roughness map should go in the refelection glossiness slot, BUT, you need to invert it to look right.

Matalness, is how metalic a surface is.. in theory this should be black and white. A surface is either metal.. or not. In practice.. some slight variation still seems to work (antialiasing etc..)
I personally like to use this map as a mask between two seperate materials placed into a Blend Material. One material for metal and one for non metal.

Check out this post for my workflow within VRay
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=6306.0

Hope that helps a little.

Using 3Ds Max 2018 and SP 2017 having the Scanline Render I do:

- name all your textures/layers properly in SP
- save them in YOUR3DSMAXPROJECT/\sceneassets\images\YOURSPPROJECTTEXTURESFOLDER
- use a Physical Material and and on the Material slots:
Base Color => Base Color
Normal => Bump Map
Roughness => Roughness
Metallic => Metalness
Emissive => Emission Color
Height => Displacement

Hope this helps !
LAOMUSIC ARTS 2018