Author Topic: Adjust metalness/specular in Unity  (Read 2228 times)

I´m just throwing questions on here because I really don´t get a lot of this... When I have exported my textures into Unity and add them to a material the material is 100% non reflective. And when I have added a metallic or specular-map I cant adjust the metalness anymore. Where do I adjust this?!

Hard to say without seeing a screenshot or something, but somethings I might speculate are that with your materials being non reflective, Unity uses a glossiness(smoothness) map instead of a roughness map which are basically inverts of each other. So if you created a roughness map that was very dark, meaning smooth, and you import it into Unity to use in the smoothness input, it's going to show the opposite of what you intended. So if that's the case you just need to invert the map before you import it into unity.

Hard to say without seeing a screenshot or something, but somethings I might speculate are that with your materials being non reflective, Unity uses a glossiness(smoothness) map instead of a roughness map which are basically inverts of each other. So if you created a roughness map that was very dark, meaning smooth, and you import it into Unity to use in the smoothness input, it's going to show the opposite of what you intended. So if that's the case you just need to invert the map before you import it into unity.

I tried using both roughness and metallic map but they are both non-reflective, even tried inverting the map without improvement.  The material looks great and I do believe that the light behaves different when i add the metal or rougness-map but the problem is that it is totally non-reflective = 0% metallic. When I add a metal-map to my material there is no way to adjust the "metalness", thats the problem.

I tried using both roughness and metallic map but they are both non-reflective, even tried inverting the map without improvement.  The material looks great and I do believe that the light behaves different when i add the metal or rougness-map but the problem is that it is totally non-reflective = 0% metallic. When I add a metal-map to my material there is no way to adjust the "metalness", thats the problem.

Hi Mattias,

I replied to your support request. I will help you with the maps. It sounds to me that there is a confusion on the map types to use.  Have you checked out our PBR guide? In volume 2, it details more about how the metallic map works.

https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide

cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja